5 | Jade

I dyed my hair brown

It has been the first time I switched up my hair color since the beginning of my career and I had it purple. I wanted a sense of change returning to Dallas and by switching up my tresses it helped. I found a lakefront, rock and stone, four bedroom home guard-gated community and I had furnished quickly to prepare for my daughter to come home.

There was one bedroom in particular I was proud of—Sarai Jolene's nursery. It was shabby and chic with plush pink walls and canopy crib. A mirrored dresser rested on the wall with the door, on top of it was glass jars containing baby necessities; cotton balls and wipes, with a silver stuffed elephant ornament. For the perfect spot feeding and story time I had a cozy pink armchair plus a side table fur footstool. Then for once Sarai grew up, I had a daybed decorated in blush pink and brown pillows and on the beige abstract rug was a wicker basket for toy storage.

I was ready for her and today was the day Carla would be bringing my baby and my Prada white leather sneakers was burning a hole in the dark hardwood floor in front of the wrought iron, double french door with rain glass windows. Seeing the silhouette of someone approaching the door made me snatch it open, assuming it was Carla with Sarai, but it was Caren.

"Hi, oh my God!" Caren embraced me unexpectedly.

"Oh. Caren."

Caren pulled back. "Wow. Is that how you greet your best friend after six months?"

"I'm sorry. No, hey. Come in." I let her inside and shut the door, "I'm just waiting on Carla to come with my babygirl."

"Ooh. I know you're excited."

I chuckled nervously. "Beyond."

"She'll love you. Don't worry." Caren assured me. "Now, show me around. This is nice."

I showed Caren around the whole house, and after we ended up in the living room with Christian Liaigre sofas dressed in Schumacher wool and a Larsen leather joined by a Steinway piano, a vintage Oscar Niemeyer chair and ottoman from Wyeth, and several custom-designed pieces, among them the ceiling lights, sconce, and consoles. The neutral colored curtains are of a Loro Piana wool-linen.

"So, how have you been?" I asked Caren. "I see a tan."

"Yeah, just came back from Hawaii for Calen's birthday."