45 | Andi

Work was a drag today

               Work was a drag today. It was Monday morning and a new month. It was full of staff meetings, reviewing the bank's performance last month in February and plans for the incoming week to come. Now I was in my office hovering over paperwork when someone knocked on the open door.

               "Yeah?" I questioned without glancing up.

               "You've been dodging me."

               The voice made me peer up, finding Normandi at the door in a silhouette-sculpting jumpsuit with a belted waist. "Can I...help you?"

               "Yeah. You can tell me—"

               "Does this have to do with work?" I interjected.

               "It's about what I told you. Can we talk, please?"

               I breathed out, placing the pen down. "Shut the door behind you."

               Normandi came in and took a seat. "I know that what I told you is difficult to believe."

               "What exactly makes you think that I'm your sister?" I asked.

               "When I was younger, about eleven, I remember my father having a heated discussion with his right hand man about a woman that claimed he impregnated her. I didn't want to believe my father would cheat on my mother until the woman popped up at our house one day my last year of high school. She was a beautiful woman, dark curly hair, cornfed, it seemed like was biracial. She was screaming outside saying how you deserve to live there and raised as one of his children."

               I frowned and chuckled. "How can she possibly give a damn when she's the one that gave me up?"

               Normandi shrugged. "I don't know. My dad doesn't even know that I know."

               "So how exactly did you find out about me?" I wondered.

               "I met with her. Your mother." That made me sit back in my desk chair as she continued. "I didn't ask how her and my father knew each other. All I was worried about was finding you. She gave me your name and you just so happened to be the best employee at Gordon Bank. My parents brag about you."

               "And he has no clue that I'm the daughter he let be raised in filthy foster homes and raise herself." I scoffed bitterly, "What a wonderful man he sounds like. Look, I don't know what you thought this would be. You probably thought I would welcome you with open arms just because you're my sister, or not, I don't know. But I don't care. I don't care who my birth father is. Quite frankly, I don't have parents. I got me and my best friends. That's all I'll ever need. So if you'd excuse me I have work to tend to and you should do the same."