25 | Jade

Friendships

               Friendships..

               How long are they really supposed to last?

               Even if you have known someone for two decades, does the friendship actually end? Or, does being in a friendship for that amount of years make you family?

               I spent eighteen years in Brooklyn, on the east coast, and I yearned to experience life in the south. So my senior year at my old preppy, predominantly white private school, I applied at every HBCU I could in the south. Jackson State, Clark Atlanta, Alabama A&M, Dillard, and Texas Southern. With my exceptional grade point average, I was accepted into everyone. But, it was something about Texas Southern that stayed on my brain, and in the end, that was the college.

               There I was, a cheery, bubbly Brooklyn girl that had no clue what Houston had to offer me. Clearly what was in store was for me to come across the tall, and slender freshman with natural twist-out and retro style.

               That girl in the khaki green jumpsuit and oversized denim jacket just so happened to be my roommate turned best friend and sister Caren Anderson. To my surprise, we had more in common than I thought, like our birthdays. We came a long way. I was the Godmother to one of her children for Christ's sake. We went from calling each other everyday, popping up for lunches, crying to each other, to this: not talking at all, making low blows at each other.

               Well, her making low blows at me. The comment she made; referring to me as "pussy" and "scary" was something I don't believe I can return from. I get wanting to hurt feelings, but why throw something in my face that she knew would hurt me?

               I'm hurt, too.

               I could have mentioned a lot about Caren, but I kept it under wraps, because that's what friends do. She screamed mine out at Six flags with a group full of people. There was even a video of it surfacing.

               It was embarrassing, and that was the main reason I was iffy about attending Andi's birthday to Six flags how we do every year. I knew it would end the way it did. But I went, in support of Andi. I just decided to keep my mouth sealed to keep the peace. But instead that was the cause of the chaos.

               Carla flipping out on Caren yesterday was unexpected. She promised me she would stay out of it and was only there for Andi. But of course she told me a lie and nearly fought my best friend.