18.

"My dad- he's gone."

A look of confusion came across JJ's face. His thumb remained on the side of my face, wiping my remaining tears as new ones began to form.

John B stood behind us, his arms draped at his sides. He looked like he wanted to just come and wrap himself around me again like he had a few moments before. He wanted to fix me. But he couldn't.

"What do you mean he's gone?"

"He left- my mom. He just is gone. Forever."

"What happened? Is everything okay?"

I had forgotten that JJ didn't know about the situation with my parents. I had only told Rafe and John B. I couldn't look at him, knowing I had hid it from him for months.

"My parents have been fighting for a few months. I thought everything was okay but I came home and he was gone. My mom tore apart the whole house. I can't stay there. I can't be there, it feels so empty. He's never coming back and it's all my fault."

"Hey. Hey. Never say that. This isn't your fault. It never was and never will be. I'm so sorry, Rachel. You'll be okay. I've got you, we've got you." He grabbed a hold of my cheeks and shook with emotion.

I nodded to him through the tears rolling down my face as he pulled my body into him. I heard footsteps and felt another pair of arms wrap around me. These were strong, warm. I immediately recognized them as John B's as I softly grabbed the back of his arm. I ran my fingers down them, my other arm holding JJ's neck. I felt his hair through my fingers, caressing it gently. I just wanted to stay in their arms forever. But I knew that wasn't an option. I had to keep going.

John B looked to me as we all pulled out of each other. I gave him a soft smile, thanking him for not adding the part of my mom to it all. I never really told him. But he probably assumed because of all the marks.

"I'm never leaving your side, neither is JB here. You're one of the boys tonight. And for as long as you need to be. I was feeling a slumber party tonight anyways." JJ smiled to me, looking back to John B.

"I'm sure Big John would approve of that."

"He approves of everything JJ does. Remember?" John B chuckled.

"Oh I forgot, he's just as crazy as Maybank."

"I'm only crazy for you, cupcake."

I rolled my eyes and leaned back into the bed.

"Get your ass up. We're going out."

"It's pouring rain, JJ. I'd prefer to stay in and be warm."

"It stopped and now it's chilly out. C'mon, perfect for a smoke sesh out back." He flicks his lighter open, his eyes widening at the sight of the tall flame.

"Only if I can steal your hoodie."

John B scoffed, scratching the back of his neck. He always liked to make fun at us flirting with each other. I always wondered if he had a crush on me or if it was just him rooting for us.

"Anything for you, ma'am. I always pack extra." He pulls the Kildare Island hoodie off and tosses it to me, turning around to grab a fresh one out of the dresser behind him.

I thought it was adorable how he chose to give me the one off his back. He knew I wanted it because it smelled like him. The comforting smell of salt water, weed, and musk. Luckily for me, he had recently showered and it smelled like his shampoo. I pulled it on and let my body sink into it. I breathed in and instantly felt better. I forgot about what was happening, and I was glad in the moment. I wanted to think of nothing, only JJ and John B in this moment.
-

John B swung in the hammock besides us as we lit up. He puffed on it twice before handing it to me. He held up his hands to make sure the flame stayed as I inhaled. I let it burn in the back of my throat before I blew out into his face.

"Get a room." John B gagged.

"Hold up, I wasn't paying attention. Can you do it again?" JJ was dazed and confused.

"You're fried already?" I laughed, wiping my eyes.

"Yeah... sure." He let his face rest in his hands.

I took another hit, letting it sink into the back of my throat again. I let it sit as I watch JJ's eyes watch my lips. I look over to him, grabbing his face. His eyes widen as I blow the smoke into his face once again. Our faces were so close together. He blinked away the smoke and smiled to me. His eyes hung low.

"You really fell for that?"

"Fell for what?"

"He just wanted you to do it again cause he thought it was hot." John B flipped on to his side to face us. "C'mon. Even I saw that coming. You're supposed to be the smartest remember?"

"That's Pope. But, JJ!" I pushed his shoulder and he just coughed with laughter. "Well, is it true?"

"Yes." Both boys said in unison.

I just leaned back and felt JJ's arm go around my back to support me.

"I wish nights like this could last forever."

"Me too. But no worries, there's many more nights like this to come. Remember, you're stuck with us for life. Pogues for life, baby."

"I'm glad I ran into your dumbass on the beach that night."

"You know, I was gonna let this be nice but you just had to call me a dumbass."

"Only speaking facts."

"Facts." John B said.

"But hey, I'm glad you ran into me too. These have been the best past few months of my life."

I felt my entire body heat up. All I felt was pure love in this moment. I never wanted this feeling to go away.