12.

Another boring week at school. I hadn't been able to focus since coming back, it was a new school year but the same bullshit. I could barely pay attention. I just kept my eyes on the back of JJ's head. My teachers had moved me into his classes so I could feel more safe at school. The one thing to come out of all this. We were supposed to be taking a quiz over some history lecture but I couldn't stop focusing on the curls on the back of his neck. He was probably the only thing keeping me sane these days, I know it probably sounds cheesy or whatever but it's true. After visiting my house and having that breakdown after my rape exam, he really helped me get back into my groove. Yeah, it was going to take a while to get back to normal (if I ever could) but I was doing well for being only a few weeks out.

"Sorry to interrupt. Can I borrow Mr.Hayward for a moment?" A man stepped into our classroom.

I saw JJ's head tilt over to the door, scanning the room to find Pope. He stood up, looking back to me before walking out of the door. I heard JJ's body shift in his seat and turn around to face me. The teacher was giving me eyes, like he thought we were cheating.

"Eyes on your own paper, Maybank."

JJ's eyes only were looking into mine. I looked to my teacher and gave him a small smile, and he motioned for JJ to turn around.

"Are you okay?" I heard him whisper as he slowly turned around.

"I'm fine, JJ."

I felt his hand on my knee, his arm in an awkward position hiding himself from anyone looking. He squeezed down but I peeled his fingers from me and intertwined my fingers in his. I gave his palm a tight squeeze. I heard him lightly chuckle under his breath as he pretended to be doing his work. I couldn't explain the feeling in my chest. But my body was warm and tingly in all the right places.

Pope came back into the classroom as the door slammed behind him. He looked to us with a letter in his hand. JJ's eyes squinted and Kie noticed a few chairs over from us. Kind of wild they put all of us in the same class.

"What the f- fudge?" JJ called out, the teacher giving him an eye.

I noticed something. A wheat symbol. I feel as if I had recognized this before.

"I gotta go to the bathroom." Kie stood up.

"Family emergency." Pope left.

JJ just got out of his seat and I followed. The teacher just gave me a look, a disappointing look. I followed them down the hallway. They were practically running.

"Guys. Wait up! What's going on?"

"This was the symbol on the gold we found." Pope called in front of me.

I followed them into the library, the computer lab. We all stood beside Pope as he opened the letter. JJ took it out of his hands.

"Read it. Out loud." Kie looked to him as he just stared.

JJ struggled for a second and ran his hand through his hair. He looked to me.

"I can't read cursive."

Kie took the note out of his hand, reading it out loud to us. A woman claimed to have information that could clear John B's name, just what we were looking for. I felt a lump in my throat. They had no idea what occurred when they were gone and I would have to go over it all over again. I wasn't sure if I would have the strength to tell them.

"We have to go to Charleston." Kie says after finishing reading it.

"How do you plan on getting there?" JJ stood beside me, leaning over me.

"We can borrow my pops truck." Pope broke the silence.

"Do you have a death wish?" I looked over to him, crossing my arms.

"It's so sus that they said to come alone. You're not." Kie added.

"Well, we better head out now. Catch the ferry." JJ looked to the clock.

"And skip class?" Popes eyes were out of head.

"Don't act like we haven't done it before." I turned around on my heels, ready for our next mission.

Everyone followed out but JJ's hands laid over my shoulders, turning me around.

"What?" I looked into his eyes for a moment.

"Are you sure you're ready for this? You don't have to come along."

"I need to earn my keep here. I didn't help you guys at all in finding the gold."

"You did. You-"

"You don't have to lie. I barely was there. This is my chance to prove myself. I want John B and Sarah back just as badly as you guys, maybe even more. I miss them so much."

"You were going through a lot. You don't have to prove yourself to us. You're a freakin' pogue, okay? I miss JB so much too, I can't wait to get him back. We gotta do this."

"Hell yeah we do, together." I grabbed his hand, looking down to them. I lifted my head back up to see a smile across his face. We walked out of school, hand in hand.