Chapter 12: Unspoken Feelings

Kate

I was able to take my phone back from Marc’s hand and answered the phone myself. Even if I don’t want to, I must take this phone call. I don’t know why he is calling me but it must be urgent because this is his eight phone call.

“Marc, let me talk to Kate.” Annoyance was evident on Dylan’s voice.

I looked at Marc with a mean and irritated look, he just smiled back and sat down at the bench that he points out a while ago.

“It’s me Kate.” I said in a low and soft tone of voice.

“Thank goodness, where are you? I’ll go and get you home.” He said in relief.

I bite the bottom of my lip and didn’t answer his question.

“Kate? Where are you? Talk to me.” He added.

I swallowed the lump on my throat and I don’t know if he should go here because I don’t want him to. He’s not my real boyfriend and he doesn’t have the right to question me with such things. We’re just pretending and now he wants to go here and get me home without asking if I was okay with it? Am I just being paranoid or I’m just annoyed by the fact that we’re pretending and my feelings for him was never fading?

In my surprise, Marc took my phone out of my hands for the second time.

“I’ll get her home, you don’t have to worry. Good bye Dylan.” Marc ended the phone call and placed my phone in my bag.

“Now can we sit and talk casually?” He went back to sit on the bench and pat the space beside him, signaling me to seat down.

I went and sat down beside him but of course with a little distance. We’re not close and we just met, so I shouldn’t be as comfortable when I’m with him.

“You shouldn’t be snooping at other’s conversation and getting their phone without permission.” I protested with my arms folded against my chest.

“I’m sorry. It’s just that your boyfriend seems to annoy me.” I can felt him staring at me and I didn’t look at him, “So, back to the topic. Since when did you two started dating?”

“Why are you asking me those questions? What do you care if we’re dating and if he’s my boyfriend? Why do you want to be friends with me when I’ve been new in this school for months now? Why did you send me those note and giving information about Dylan? What’s with you? What’s with all of you? Why is everyone making my life so miserable? Why do I have this kind of life? Why does my mother hate me? Why isn’t my father calling me for months? Why do I have to like a guy that doesn’t even like me back? Why am in here anyway? Why am I a fucking mess?!” I said, aggressively. I was letting everything out. I was about to cry but I tried my best to hold it in. Did I just complain in front of a stranger that I just met? Did I told him about the feelings I have towards a guy? I hope he didn’t heard it clearly because if he would, my life will be much worst compared before. I can’t bear this stress and pain that I’m experiencing right now. No one is there to help me and even comfort me in my darkest times. I want someone to help me lighten up this burden that I’m carrying.

He pats my back, comforting me. “I’m sorry.” He said in a serious and comforting tone of voice. He didn’t asked me about any of my problems and just told me that he was sorry. I felt weak and as if I finally found someone who can comfort me.

“Sorry if your life is a mess. Sorry if I was adding into your problems. I really wanted to be your friend that’s why I’m here.” He exhaled, “It’s just that—“ He paused and I looked at him as his eyes were faced away from me. He was avoiding eye contact and I don’t know why.