Chapter 2: Invisible

Kate

My goal for today is to be invisible. I know, no one notices me around the school but what I’m trying to say was not to be able to see or meet him. And the him that I’m referring to was the guy named, Dylan. This may sound weird but I don't want him to see me because maybe he'll get mad for turning down his offer which I know that he's probably serious but then again, he's a playboy and he pretty much deserved it.

 “Dear, why are you wearing your jacket? It’s very hot outside.” My mother said. She’s cooking us some pancakes for breakfast. I think it’s the first time that she cooked for me since we moved here. She's always at work and insisted me to cook by myself, the problem is I don't know how to cook that's why I just eat cereals or order pizza.

Now she's asking me why I have my jacket on? What does she care? She went home at 11 o' clock in the evening last night and forgot to call how her daughter was. I was in the staircase of the porch, cold and as if I want to take a rest. I pretended that I lost the key and I have no mother and my father was working abroad.

“I just want to wear it.” The sad part is, it's hot outside. And still, I chose to wear it just to be completely invisible and for Dylan not to notice me. Small things really matter to me and I don't want to risk any of my life.

“You know, you wearing a jacket in a very hot day will just attract people.” She fusses, “Can you get the syrup in the fridge, thank you.” She placed the pancakes both in our plates. I rather ate cereals.

“You don’t care even if they do.” I muttered, silently. I stood up and took the syrup on the fridge.

“Here.” I hand over the syrup on her hand.

My mother doesn’t look like me. As how I described it, I don’t look like her. I resemble my father features more and the only thing that I got from my mother was the color of our eyes, or I meant was- we both have the same eyes. She has a curly brown hair, big round eyes, she’s two inches taller than me. She’s not that fat and not to thin either.

I take my seat and stared at my plate topped with the pancake that my mother made. It reminds me of my father whenever I see pancakes. He loves pancakes and he usually makes me some when I was still a kid, he usually placed it with chocolate syrup.

Thinking about him makes me miss him even more. How is my father doing anyway? Is he okay? Is he eating well? Does he miss me? Why hasn’t he called me? It’s been a week now and I don’t know why he stopped calling. Maybe he’s just busy? I’ll try to understand him.

“Kate, Kate, Dear? Are you even listening to me?” she snaps her fingers, “I’ll be home late, just lock the door and take the key, okay?” she wipes her mouth with her handkerchief.

She stands up and faced the mirror that we have on the kitchen, she puts on her red lipstick and blush on.

“Wait, you’re going already? I haven’t finished eating my food yet.” I watch her put her plate on the sink. She wore her heels on, tied her hair in a ponytail and kisses me in the forehead.

“See you later.” She rushes her way out of the door, carrying her black leather bag and suitcase and left.

Want to know what her job was? She’s a lawyer. I think she loves the law more rather than her daughter who is seated in this chair that I’m seating in.

What did my father see on my mother anyway? That made him love and marry her?

Enough about this, I’m going to eat and leave at once. I don’t want to be late for school.