The Aftermath

Soon they were on the road heading away from the scene, thankfully right as the cops pulled up. George glanced down at Dream's phone as it started vibrating and saw Sapnap's name appear on the screen. He took it from the center console and accepted the call.

"You guys good?" Sapnap's worried voice came over the phone.

"I don't know. Dream isn't looking too good, but I'm fine. I'm driving. Where are you guys?" George responded.

"Right behind you," Bad's distant voice answered.

"Where should we go?" George asked.

"Let's head to Dream and I's apartment. It's closest," Sapnap said.

"If you could get in front of me, I could just follow you there," George said.

"Okay. One second," Bad said, and George guessed he was at the wheel. A moment later a car passed him and George saw Sapnap in the passenger window.

"I see you guys," George stated.

"Alright, follow us," Sapnap replied.

"Okay, bye," George said, then hung up. He glanced over at Dream as he groaned in pain. "Are you okay, Dream?" He asked worriedly.

"Ugh..." Dream winced as he sat up and buckled his seatbelt. "Yeah, I think so. Just a few cuts and some bruises," he replied with a forced smile. "Maybe a few broken bones, some internal bleeding..."

"Stop it, that's not funny," George said, though he could hold back a small smile of relief. Dream may have been in pain, but not so much that he couldn't make one of his jokes.

"It's kind of funny," Dream quipped.

"Ha-ha-ha. Happy now?"

"Yeah."

George glanced at him. He was looking out the window, holding his hand up to his nose to stop the bleeding. George looked at his own nose in the mirror and saw it was still slowly oozing blood. He wiped at it with the back of his hand. "Get into a lot of fights, do you?" George asked. "You sure handled yourself well."

"Oh, yeah. All the time," Dream nodded.

"Ah, so that's how you deal with pain? You make jokes to try and brush it off?" George asked. Dream didn't reply. George saw right through him. "That was a good thing you did for that girl. I don't know a lot of people who would have gotten themselves involved so quickly like that. I'm sure she really appreciates it," George said after a moment. Dream looked at him, and George could see the bruises on his face beginning to form. His eyes weren't swollen, and George thanked God that the man had been drunk - or else his aim would've been better and he would have probably hit a lot harder. "It was still plenty stupid though. We could have just called the cops and I'm sure those drunks would've backed off," George added with a bit of anger in his voice. Dream looked away again.

"I couldn't just stand there and watch them attack that kid. It's just not who I am," Dream replied. George watched the road quietly.

"I know. I get it," he finally said. "I just don't want you to get hurt. You had me worried there for a minute," he confessed.

"I'm not going to apologize, if that's what you want. I did what I thought was best. And standing up for that girl was the right thing to do," Dream replied simply. He did not sound angry, only convinced that he was right.

"I don't want you to apologize, Dream." George said. They were quiet for a few minutes, and during that time George secretly admired Dream's morality. He wondered if he would've done the same thing, jumping between a drunk man and his target. He liked to think he would, but at the same time he knew it wasn't true. It took a special kind of courage for that.