---------

Yana shuddered. She knew exactly what would happen, "Goddamn it, Kenma."

---------

Just as Kenma's fingers grazed the ball, instead of setting it to a spiker he tipped his hand and completed a setter dump. Nishinoya dived for the ball but just missed the chance to save the rally.

--------

Yaku was the first to touch the ball after Tanaka's serve. Despite it being it being this late into the game Nekoma's receives were just as solid as they were in the beginning of the match. "Kenma!"

The ball's arc made it easy for Kenma to toss up. This time it was Kuroo on vanguard against two blockers. He exhaled and crouched down in a jumping motion. It was a special move that Kenma, Kuroo and Yana had practiced many times.

Asahi and Tsukishima jumped up to block Kuroo.

Kuroo sneered. Got 'em. Just as the two blockers were descending Kuroo then leapt up and slammed the ball down on Karasuno's side of the court. It was a personal time difference attack. It wasn't a very popular attack since it wasn't something a Spiker could use repeatedly, but when used at the right time it was a valuable asset in Nekoma's repertoire.

--------

Nekoma's points slowly continued to grow even after Kageyama had demonstrated a rather particularly straight. Yana found it rather laughable when she compared the two setters. While Kageyama had an almost overwhelming presence on the court, Kenma didn't stand out at all. For Kenma each ball was delivered right to him, whereas Kageyama had to try and make up for the disorderly receives from his teammates.

The next rotation had put Kenma opposite Tsukishima. Yana had noted that he was -in plainer terms- the exact opposite of Hinata. He was the type to watch and think things over before reacting. Yana watched as Kenma turned his head slightly to face Kai on his right before swiftly looking back up at the ball.

Yana shook her head and sighed. "It's left."

Tsukishima fell for Kenma's feint and ran to the right. Just as predicted Kenma tossed it to Kuroo who was on the left. He had used Tsukishima's strength against him.

From a young age Kenma was always on edge, he wasn't very good around people and took a while for him to get used to Kuroo and Yana's advances. Out of the trio it was obvious he was the most observant. It just so happened that when the three of them got into volleyball, Kenma was the most adept at tactical thinking. If anyone could fake out Tsukishima it would be Kenma.

Even without an impressive offence, Nekoma had the better chance at winning. Despite not having a superhuman Ace, Nekoma steadily and carefully scored point after point. As much as Yana thought Kuroo's chant was stupid, it was accurate. Every single player made smooth receives to circulate the ball and send it to Kenma, 'The Brain'.

"One touch!" Inuoka yelled. With every toss and spike Inuoka gradually got accustomed to the speed of the ball. Yana closed her eyes briefly as she listened to Inuoka call touch after touch. There was no bias in Yana's conclusion. She didn't have a shadow of a doubt that Nekoma was going to win. It was only a matter of time.

"Nekoma match point."

Karasuno's coach stood up and put his hands in a 'T' shape. He needed to kill Nekoma's momentum. Better late than never. "Karasuno High School, timeout."

-------

Time out ended almost too soon. Inuoka took a deep breath and took his position.

Nekoma serve.

Karasuno receive.

Karasuno set.

"Even if a level doesn't seem clearable at first, after playing it over and over again"

Spike.

Inuoka sidestepped as soon as he saw Hinata's feet lift off the floor.

"You can conquer it."

Inuoka grit his teeth and threw every inch of energy he had left into his own jump. He needed to reach the ball, he wanted to reach the ball. This whole game he had been getting closer and closer to stopping the spike. This time for sure he planned on shutting out the quick. He outstretched his left hand just as the ball was spiked right into it.

"Set end. Winner, Nekoma High School."

------

Yana relaxed and sat back on her seat. She wasn't quite sure at what point in the match she stood up. Every time she watched Nekoma play she always remembered what Coach Nekoma had told her during their first meeting.

"Being able to hit a powerful spike isn't what will grant you victory. Letting the ball hit the floor means defeat."

That way of thinking was almost blasphemous to her previous Demon Coach. If she were to even dare bring that philosophy up, she would probably have to do punishment drills for days.

"Oh! Right!" Yana quickly scrambled up and shouted to Nekoma's team. "Hey guys!" Everyone on the court looked up where she was standing. Yana untied a white banner which was twice as large as a regular banner. She stood proudly as it unraveled, revealing the words 'Nice Kill, Nekoma' in the worst possible -yet readable- writing. Of course, that wasn't all. Since Yana was oh so dedicated to Kuroo's chant, the words on the banner were painted to look like dripping blood, complete with the splatters.

The banner was absolutely unsightly and had Coach Nekomata and Yana cackling as the whole Nekoma team cringed. Kuroo was the only person on the team who stood with more pride than earlier. "Hell yeah!"

The Karasuno members looked at the banner utterly confused. They weren't entirely sure exactly what inside joke the banner was referring to, but even they felt a little secondhand embarrassment for the Nekoma team.