Ch 30: The Moment Everything Changed

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In the future, Chloé, Marinette, Bunnyx, and Time Capsule sit on the hillside watching the burning building. Alya and Nino are presumed dead. Hope seems bleak and unreachable.

Time Capsule could feel the powers she was granted slipping away. Nothing had changed yet.

Chloé hugged her legs to her chest. "What if we can't stop this future."

Bunnyx jumped up. "We can't give up hope!"

Marinette fiddled with her hair. "Are there any more memories we can give them that might have a greater impact?" She was determined to erase this pitiful future.

Time Capsule thought for a moment. "We could go to the start of it all. When I first officially started working for the Agrestes, I found those two miraculous. Gabriel's wife, my sister, used the broken Peacock miraculous and I still don't know why. Maybe if my past self could understand why, it could change the future."

Bunnyx nodded. "Might as well give it a try." She summoned her time burrow, but she could feel her powers getting weaker.

Marinette and Time Capsule jumped into it.

Chloé stood outside of the time burrow. "I'm staying behind. I caused this. I need to go down with the ship. Maybe I can gather some survivors and try to be a real superhero."

Marinette shook her head. "Chloé, no. There's no point." 

It was too late. Chloé had already ran off before anyone else could protest. I believe in you, Ladybug! Chloé took one look over her shoulder before she disappeared down the hillside and into the rising smoke.

Marinette pounded her fist on the wall of the burrow. "Let's make this count."

Bunnyx frowned. The future was looking bleaker and bleaker. "All right, what point in time did your sister first use the broken Peacock miraculous?"

Time Capsule rubbed her chin, recalling the memory. "It was around the time Félix was born, in June."

"Alright. Let's go," Bunnyx said.

################################

16 years ago from the present, the day after Félix is born, Emilie sits alone in a dark room after a long, complicated birth. She is staring down at the cooing Félix who is wrapped delicately in a blue blanket.

Emilie flicked her eyes over to the broken broach. Her sister had found these strange jewels which held unimaginable power. Gabriel had told her never to use this one under any circumstances. She could feel tears pricking her eyes. None of that mattered if her sweet baby boy couldn't enjoy this world with her.

The doctor had tried to be gentle with the news.

"It's likely he won't live past 10."

The words hit her like a freight train. He had a rare heart condition that couldn't be cured. She had been dreaming about being a mother ever since she found out she was pregnant. Now she would have to watch her poor child suffer. She didn't tell anyone about this. Not even Gabriel.

He wouldn't understand what she was about to do. She knew he would try to talk her out of it. Her eyes were growing heavy. She couldn't live with herself if she didn't at least try. Gabriel had jumped back into work as soon as they returned from the hospital. Nathalie had just found the two miraculous for them right before Emilie went into labor. They had always been interested in rare artifacts such as these.