Ch 17: The Broken Smile

*******************************************

Every news outlet reported that they saved the day, but Marinette thought they did anything but save the day. She felt sick to her stomach thinking about Master Fu. How could she have been so careless? No one knew that Master Fu had relinquished the box to keep the miraculous safe. To top it all off, she lost the Bee miraculous before she even confronted Shadow Moth.

Marinette could feel the cracks forming. Now she had to locate the Bee miraculous before anyone else found it. She was the one who grabbed it from Master Fu. She was the one who exposed him to Shadow Moth.

She stared at the Miracle Box that was now hers. It looked a lot different from Master Fu's box. She didn't know what else to do besides grin and bear it.

*******************************************

Life buzzed around her in class. Alya chatted with Nino, Félix buried his nose in a book, and Chloé walked around the room slinging insults. Félix and Nino exchanged occasional words. She wished she could go back to simpler times, even if it was before she got to know Félix.

She tried to wear a smile for her friends but she felt distant from everyone. She was living a life that she couldn't talk to anyone about, and now she couldn't even talk to Master Fu. She couldn't vent to her friends about the kwamis terrorizing her room, or how overwhelmed she felt.

"Marinette, class was dismissed." Félix's voice caused her to look up. He was standing in front of her in the empty room. Did I not notice everyone leave?

She faintly remembered Alya saying something to her about how Nino invited her on a date. They had spent a lot of time together working on the project and Alya suspected the love poem was about her.

 They had spent a lot of time together working on the project and Alya suspected the love poem was about her

(+)

She robotically replied, regurgitating a scripted response about how excited she was for her friend. Alya noticed her friend's odd behavior and made a mental note to ask her about it later.

Marinette rubbed the back of her neck. "Oh, I-"

Félix's brows knitted together. "Is everything okay?" 

She plastered a strange smile on her face. "Yup. Everything is great. So great. I gotta go." She grabbed her backpack and tumbled out the door, leaving Félix alone in the classroom.

Plagg poked his head out of Félix's bag. "Well, that was definitely a cry for help."

Félix glared down at him. "Hide before anyone sees you." He tripped on his own feet before regaining his balance and walking out.