Chapter One

War was coming.
I knew it would come eventually but I had just hoped it would come after a bit of respite. Amarantha had cut all the courts so deep, had broken us in ways we would never mention in the light.

I watch Hélion as we eat in the early morning hours of late summer, his eyes glued to the correspondence just delivered moments ago.

"Hyburn has attacked the Summer Court." Helion's voice is grim he places the paper on the delicately carved wood table.

"When?" I ask, surprised. The pastry in my hand suddenly less appetizing, I place it back on my plate.

"Yesterday," Helion sounds gruff and I watch as he rereads the piece of parchment before him.

A second envelope appearing beside his plate. Helion grabs the paper within seconds and opens it swiftly, sighing again.

"Rhysand wishes to move up the meeting of the High Lords."

I lean back in my chair, the warm morning breeze ruffles my wings as I stretch them nervously. The black feathers moving as I tighten them against my back.

"It is now in a week." Helion finally places the papers away and leans back. His eyes meet mine, and I watch as the anxiety and turmoil that plagued him come to the surface again.

In a flash it's gone, as he readjusts the mask that he wears so well, letting it take over his features.
"It will definitely not be a boring meeting at least." He chuckles lightly. "I am sure of that."
I pick up my pastry again and quickly polish it off before grabbing another, dismissing the eggs and porridge on my plate completely.

"You are welcome to join, oh wise advisor."

I look up from my plate again this time his eyes bore into mine. I raise an eyebrow before returning to my food, ignoring him.

I scarf down the eggs and porridge in front of me to avoid his gaze.

As an advisor it would be expected of me to stand beside Helion, to sit at his side. I always hated that part of this job. Helion had always been kind to me, a good friend albeit a slutty one who never failed to offer me a place in his bed. But a good friend always, he knew me and knew the lines I drew in the sand long ago when I took his offer to become his advisor.

Normally, I would have said no, there is no real need for me to be there. A bunch of High Lords in a giant pissing match, But this wasn't normal, a war was coming, allies were needed. While there was always a threat of war in Parythian, due mostly to the pissing High Lords, but this was different this was the kind of war that could kill Hélion, kill my warriors, kill my people. Wipe all of them from history.

I set my pastry down again, now a little frustrated I couldn't enjoy my abundance of sugar in peace.

Hélion watched me closely, his eyes were always kind but also calculating, he knew I was debating.

"There is also other news from the Night Court." He says simply.

I don't respond, but my curiosity keeps me from looking away.

"They have named a new High Lady."

I blink in confusion, there has never been a High Lady, not in millennia.

"Feyre Cursebreaker has offically been mated with Rhysand."

With that my mouth falls open. Hélion grins with glee, I glare at him before actually speaking.

"I hadn't heard anything after she escaped the spring court." I say, keeping my tone light.

I knew of the dramatics between the Spring Court High Lord and Curse-breaker. I knew he locked her away in his lands. Hiding her away for his own interests.