24 | promposal

At school on Monday, the only thing people are talking about is the winter formal. Even Ali, Susan and Barbara won't shut up about it.

«I have no idea what to wear,» Ali sighs. She looks at you. «I know this is weird,» she says awkwardly, «but you sort of know Daniel better than me. Would you help me pick out a dress he'd like?»

Ali looks genuinely nervous. Wow, this thing between them must be getting serious. «Yeah, I'll help you,» you reply, even though you know Ali doesn't need your help to impress Daniel.

«Okay, we can go right after school if that's okay with you?» Ali says. «Sounds good!» You reply. «So Daniel asked you then? How'd he do?»

«Oh, it was the most precious thing!» Susan whines. «Show her, Ali!» Ali blushes as she pulls a red box out of her backpack. She opens it up, and reveals chocolates that spell out 'Winter Formal?'

«Oh my God,» you say in awe. Who knew Daniel could be so sweet. «Ugh, Bobby has still not asked me to the dance,» Susan groans. «Why don't you ask him?» Barbara says with a grin.

«I don't want to ask,» Susan says in a scoff. Then she turns to look at you. «Did you ask Johnny? Or did he ask you?» You laugh nervously. «Neither. He hasn't asked me yet.» Susan forms an O with her mouth. «Well, are you gonna ask him?»

You bite your lip. «I'm probably gonna wait until he asks me.» You hear Barbara huff. «Why should you leave it to the guys? If I was going, I'd—» Barbara stops talking.

«You're not going?» Susan says with her jaw dropped. «I don't have a date...» Barbara says quietly. «You don't need a date, Barb,» Ali reminds her.

You have to tell her about Dutch. If what Johnny told you is true, then maybe Barbara will go with him. «Have you talked to Dutch?» You ask. Susan and Ali look at you like you said something you shouldn't have. Barbara glares at you. «Why would I want to talk to him?»

You gesture for Susan and Ali to leave so you can speak to Barbara alone. «We'll be in the cafeteria,» Ali says awkwardly as they walk off.

Barbara stares at you; waiting for you to continue. «He talks about you,» you say in a sigh. «Like a lot. And apparently he's never been the guy to, you know, lock it down - but he really likes you.»

Barbara looks surprised. «If he really liked me, why would he go and fuck Cheryl?» She asks as she crosses her arms. You shrug. «I think he realised what a catch you were after he slept with her. Why else would he tell you about it? He probably felt guilty.»

Barbara nods, as if what you just said makes sense to her. «Why won't he just tell me himself?» She asks and bites her lip. You think about what Johnny said, that Dutch would kill him if he found out Johnny had told you about his feelings for Barbara.

«Maybe he doesn't express his feelings that way, I don't know?» You suggest. «I guess...» Barbara says sheepishly. «Yeah, I mean he's not really that sensetive.»

And almost on que, all the Cobra Kais walk into the hallway where you're standing. «God, there he is,» Barbara says and bites her lip. «Talk to him!» You say. Barbara takes a breath. «Okay,» she says on exhalation.

You give her a pat on the shoulder and watch as she walks up to Dutch. She whispers something in his ear, and Dutch gestures for the rest of the Cobra Kais to head out.

You lock eyes with Johnny. And while the others walk the opposite way, he comes up to you. «Hey,» he says in a smile and gives you a quick kiss. «I've missed you.» You blush as you pull him into a hug. «I've missed you, too.»