07 | halloween dance

You stand in front of your mirror and examine your reflection. You have put on the costume for the dance, and you're ready to leave whenever. But you don't really feel like going.

Johnny didn't even look at you at school today. And you really missed him. You're starting to think you hit a soft spot yesterday... If only he could talk to you.

«You look lovely.» You meet your mother's eyes in the mirror. You turn around as she sits down on your bed. She has let her hair down. She looks young, like in the photos of her and your dad back when they were your age.

It makes you think of their relationship. And you and Johnny... «Can I ask you something?» You ask and sit down next to her. «Of course,» she replies. «Is something wrong?»

You start fiddling with the plastic leaves on your dress. «How did you know you and dad were a good idea?» You look up to meet her glance. «When you were young, I mean.»

Your mother giggles. «I didn't go a minute without thinking about him,» she says. «That's when I knew.» You bite your lip. You can't go a minute without thinking about Johnny, either.

«Is this a bout Johnny?» She asks, as if she can read your mind. You only nod. Your mother sighs. «So you like this boy, then?»

You wonder if she can see the blush you're feeling right now. «It's so complicated,» you say in a groan, and throw yourself back onto the bed. You exhale sharply. «He's just so stupid and perfect at the same time, you know? I hate him.»

Your mother chuckles. You sit back up and glare at her. «What's so funny?» She puts a hand on your cheek. «I don't think you hate this boy at all,» she says with a smile. You get angry because she's right. She tosses a glance at her watch. «Oh, you better go, or you'll be late!»

Right again. You get up and take another look in the mirror. «Johnny's going to love that costume,» she says with a grin. That is if he'll look at me, you think. «Thanks for the talk, mom,» you say and hug her. «Anytime, sweetie.»

The gym is already packed when you get there, and it takes you a few minutes before you manage to reach Ali, Barbara and Susan.

«Oh, y/n, I love your costume!» Ali squeals as she sees you, and you do a little twirl just to show off. «Yes, you look hot,» Barbara adds. «You know what else looks hot?» Susan cuts in. «Bobby's ass in that costume.» She nods her head to the left.

You follow her gaze, and see the Cobra Kais standing in a circle a few feet away from you. You and Johnny lock eyes. He has a visible cut on the bridge of his nose where Kreese hit him; you can see it through the white makeup in his face. Him and the rest of the Cobra Kais are all dressed like skeletons.

He keeps looking away from you, but he always looks back after a few seconds. It's like he's tied with an invisible string; pulling him towards you.

You think about what could have happened that day in the dojo if Kreese hadn't interrupted you. You can still feel Johnny's grip on your thigh, and his wet lips against your skin. His hand around your throat... The thought of it brings heat to your cheeks.

«Find something you like?» Barbara asks with a smirk when she sees your face. You roll your eyes. «I'm just exhausted, okay? This is my exhausted face.» You point to your face in a dramatic manner.