13 | the beach

At school the next week, the only thing people are talking about is Barbara's party. You hear a new rumor every day, and still waiting to hear one about you.

«Thank God my parents aren't home until next week,» Barbara says in a groan. You're sitting on the field outside school; waiting for volley ball practice to start.

«At least it was a great party,» Susan says and smiles with satisfaction. «Of course you would think so,» Barbara spits. «You left me all alone to go shag Bobby.»

Susan cheeks turn a bright red as she tosses a glance at the boys on the football field. You sigh at her. «When are you two gonna admit what you feel for each other,» you ask.

Susan shakes her head and looks at you. «It's not like that. Besides, you're one to talk!» You toss a swift glance at Ali, who suddenly seems to be listening to your conversation.

You look to Barbara for help, but she only shrugs at you. «Come on,» Susan says in a scoff. «Everyone saw how you and Johnny acted at that party. Don't act like you don't know what I'm talking about.»

You notice Ali raising her eyebrows all the way to her hairline. «You and Johnny?» She asks as her jaw drops. «Ali, I'm sorry, I know I should have asked you if you were okay with me going out with Johnny,» you reply, but Ali cringes.

«I don't care, y/n,» she says in a scoff. «But what about Daniel?» You're taken aback by her response. She's known Daniel for like five minutes, who's she to talk to you about him? «What about him?» You say and cross your arms.

«You're joking?» She says in a scoff. «I think you know what I'm talking about, y/n-» «And I think I know him better than you do, Ali,» you interrupt, rather harshly.

«Have you told him, then?» She asks and raises her eyebrows. You bite your lip in consideration. You decided to keep it from him until the tournament, and you still think that's the best idea.

«Not yet,» you say. Ali shakes her head. «You know you haven't told him for a reason. How do you think he's going to feel when you finally do? When he finds out you've been keeping it from him?»

You look down at your feet. «Ali, come on,» Barbara sighs. «It's between her and Daniel.» Ali opens her mouth, then closes it. She bites her lip in consideration, then she looks at you. «Okay, sorry,» she says in a sigh.

«It's okay,» you reply and run a hand through your hair. «It's a mess, I know. But I have no idea what to do? It might be stupid, but I wanted to wait before telling Daniel until after the tournament.»

It looks like a light turned on for Ali. «Oh, right,» she says and bites her fingernails. «Hold up,» Barbara cuts in. «Daniel's competing in the All Valley tournament?» You nod in response.

«Should be interesting,» Susan says. That's an understatement. The coach's whistle wails in your ear; telling you that practice is starting.

«Okay, girls!» The coach says loudly. «I want you to start running a few laps, then we're gonna practice our serves, okay?» She blows her whistle, and you start jogging.

You glance out at the football field and Johnny catches your eye. He's sweaty, and his wet locks have stuck to his face. How does someone look so good, so effortlessly? He catches you staring, but you don't look away. You're shameless. You're his, and he knows it.

Then he starts jogging over to you. He joins you by your side. You look at him with your eyebrows raised. «What?» He says and puts his hands up. «What are you doing?» You ask.

«I'm running, what does it look like I'm doing?» You listen as his breathing gets choppy. «You have terrible stamina,» You say amused as he falls behind.