20 | trust

As Johnny joins the rest of the guys to play football, you sit down by the bonfire with Susan, Ali and Daniel. Ali's in Daniel's lap, and they can't keep their hands off each other.

«Oh my God,» Susan groans. «Get a room!» Ali glares at Susan, before she and Daniel get up and leave. You don't even want to think about where they're going or what they're gonna do.

«Nice swim?» Susan asks with a smirk. Your cheeks sting from humiliation. «The water was a little... stiff,» you say awkwardly. «I bet the water wasn't the only thing that was stiff,» Susan says with a grin.

Now your cheeks are burning up. «Oh, will you shut up?» You hiss at her. Susan's grin only grows wider. «Where's Barbara?» You ask; feeling the urge to change the subject. Susan points to the left.

You follow her gaze, and see Barbara and Dutch making out a few feet away. «I don't know what she sees in him,» Susan sighs. «Dutch is an ass.»

You glance over at the guys playing football. Johnny's hair is still wet, and is sticking to his face. Then your eyes land on Bobby, and you're tempted to ask, «How are things with you and Bobby, Sue?»

You look at her. She's blushing like crazy. «So you're together?» You say with a smirk. «We're just hanging out,» Susan explains. «But it's really nice.» You smile at her. «Well, you'd make a hot couple.»

Susan blushes again. «He's just been training so much lately,» she says in a sigh. «You know the tournament is just a couple of weeks away.»

Oh, right. You've completely forgot about the tournament. You catch yourself staring at Johnny again. He's so effortlessly handsome. Just the way he runs his hand through his hair when it falls in his eyes makes you crazy.

«What do you think will happen after?» Susan asks, and brings you back to reality. «I mean between Daniel and Johnny. What if Daniel beats him?»

The thought has crossed your mind. «It might get...» you're trying to find the right word to describe it. «Messy?» Susan suggests. Yes. «Definitely,» you say. «But that's a sorrow for another day.»

«Oh, that doesn't look good,» Susan says and cringes. You turn around just in time to see Barbara slap Dutch right across the face, before she turns on her heel and walks over to you. Tears are streaming down her face.

«Are you okay?» You ask. Barbara quickly wipes her face. «I'm terrific,» she says with a chuckle. You and Susan exchange worried looks. «What did that ass do to you?» Susan asks; straight forward.

«He's been fucking that bitch Cheryl on the cheer team for weeks,» Barbara says in a scoff. Susan's jaw drops. «Are you kidding me? That dick!»

You realise you might have missed out on what Barbara's been up to lately. Susan must have seen the confusion in your face, because she starts explaining. «Pay attention, y/n! Dutch and Barb have been at it for weeks, and it was getting serious.»

You look at Barbara, who now looks more angry than sad. «I should've known, they're all the same.» Susan shakes her head. «Don't say that, Barb—» «Oh, I'm sorry that you're like in love with Bobby or something, but it's just a matter of time until he screws you over.»

Both you and Susan are taken aback. «Calm down, Barbara,» you say quietly. She shoots you a glare. «And you? Yeah, Johnny already screwed Ali over. Did you think he changed for you? Well, newsflash: he's still a dick!»

It's like your heart stops beating. You feel the blood stop flowing, and your head getting heavy. «Barbara, what the fuck is your problem?» Susan exclaims angrily. Barbara shakes her head. «Whatever,» she murmurs and walks off.