04 | fitting rooms

The days drag on, and become shorter as the weather gets colder. Though it still beats Jersey and the frostbites you would get from walking to school.

It's September, but you can still sit outside without a jacket you. Which you do. You're having lunch with Ali and Daniel at a bench outside school, and they're not excactly hiding how they feel about each other. You watch as Ali blushes every time Daniel says one of his stupid one-liners.

Then they start to kiss and you realise you can't stick around for longer. «I think that's my que to leave,» you say and get up. «Hey, Ali. Do you know where Susan and Barbara are?»

Ali takes a look at her watch. «They're probably still in the cafeteria.» Then she goes back to making out with Daniel. You roll your eyes. «Okay, thanks.»

The corridors are deserter at this hour. Everyone's either cramped in the cafeteria or outside soaking in the sun. As you stroll down the seemingly deserted corridor, a pair of strong arms suddenly grab you from behind.

You flinch and quickly spin around. It's Johnny. «Oh my God,» you sigh and clutch your chest. «What the hell are you doing?» He pushes you gently against the wall and hovers above you.

You glare at him and walk off, but he catches up to you. «In a rush?» He asks, and puts his hands in his pockets.

You ignore him and speed up your pace. «If you're trying to shake me off, it's not going to work,» he says stoutly. You stop in your tracks. «What do I need to do for you to shut up?» You ask and press two fingers against your temple.

«Maybe...» He says quietly and pushes your hair away from your neck. «Something like this.» He presses his soft lips against your collarbone. A tingling sensation spreads throughout your body.

Then he kisses your neck, and makes his way up to your lips. Every fragment of your being longs for him, you can't stand still.

You push him away again. «The deal was one date, Johnny. One.» He scowls at you. «I don't need another date, I just wanna do this.» He puts a finger under your chin, and tilt your head back.

Then he places his lips on yours, while he runs his hand through your hair. He places his other hand on the side of your neck, stroking your jaw with his thumb.

You grab both of his hands, and lower them. «I have to go,» you say. «And Johnny, you really have to stay away from me.» He doesn't look defeated. «Can't promise anything, cupcake,» he only says, before he heads out.

You smile at his back, before you continue down the hall. The cafeteria is packed, but you manage to find Susan and Barbara sitting alone on a table by the door.

«Did you get enough of the two smoochers out there?» Susan grins as I sit down. I groan and plant my face in my hands. «Don't even start. I'm so grossed out.» You're glad Daniel's making friends, but it's just weird seing your childhood friend like that.

«Ok, change of subject,» Barbara cuts in, «I heard Johnny's dating someone new.» Your heart skips a beat. «Oh my God, who?» Susan exclaims excitedly. «No idea,» Barbara replies, and you close your eyes and exhale in relief.

«Wait, how do you know all this?» Susan asks. You both lean in to hear what Barbara has to say. If someone saw you and Johnny at Golf N' Stuff last weekend... Let's just say it's not good.

«Someone saw him with a girl last week,» Barbara explains, «on the back of his bike. She was wearing a helmet so no one knows who she is. I just heard it from Vanessa on the cheer team.»