19 | jealousy

Your father's still around when Thursday comes. You're not surprised, of course your mother wants to show him off at the country club.

Since you might be going to the beach party later, you're wearing a skin tight, red dress. You put one of your mother's old blazers over it, though, to make it a little more family appropriate.

   «You look beautiful,» your father says as you walk downstairs into the living room. He's wearing the same suit he was wearing when he had dinner with you. He probably didn't intend to stay this long.

«Stunning, I'd say!» Your mother cuts in, whilst struggling to put on a pair of earrings. She's wearing her best dress. As if you are going to have dinner with the Queen of England.

«You look great, mom,» you say with a smile, and try to avoid eye contact with your father. «My plane leaves tomorrow morning, y/n,» your father says in a sigh, like it's obvious to him how much you want him gone.

You look at him. He looks like he's awaiting your response. But you don't know what to say. He puts a hand to his forehead. «I don't want to leave knowing you hate me, y/n.»

You snort. «You were completely fine with that all the other times you left.» Your mother and your father looks at each other, then back at you. Their expression tells you that they know something you don't.

«It might be a while until we meet each other again,» your father says sheepishly. Like that's anything new. «I already waited five years. What's next, ten?»

Your father sucks his teeth. «I'm not going to keep visiting you, y/n. You obviously don't want me here.» Suddenly, it's like something freezes inside you; sending shivers throughout your body.

You're about to turn eighteen. He knew that up until now, he could change your mind. Maybe he's been trying to. And maybe you don't hate him as much as you think you do.

«Do you not want to keep seeing me?» You ask shakily. «Of course I do,» your father says, as if you're acting outrageous. «But there's nothing for me here, not if you don't want me here.»

You bite your lip. «Talk to Johnny, then,» you say boldly. If your father really cares to mend this relationship, he should do everything he can.

«He wants to talk to you, if you'll listen. And if you really want to keep seeing me, you need to settle in with the fact that Johnny's gonna be there.»

Your father sighs deeply. You wait for a lecture, but it never comes. Instead he nods. «I'll hear what he has to say.» You can't believe what you just heard. «Really?» You say; feeling amped up.

«Yes,» your father says with a stiff smile. You could hug him. Instead you just smile at each other. And for the first time in a really long time, you see your father in front of you, and not a stranger.

* * *

The country club is decorated with waxed leaves, pumpkins and live candles. Everyone is overdressed, so your mother fits right in, unsurprisingly.

«Lucille?» You hear your mother say as Daniel and Mrs. LaRusso approaches you. «It's so great to see you here!» Your mother pulls her into a hug.

«Daniel's girlfriend got us a spot, ain't that right, Daniel?» Mrs. LaRusso says and nods to Daniel, who looks flushed. He's wearing a brown suit, that's far too big for him. You guess it must be one of his father's old suits.