24-Magnanimous

"My problem. I can't stay mad.

I care too much and forgive too easily. 

I always end up forgiving people even if they don't deserve it."

                                                                                     -JULIETTE

----------------------------------------------------------------

The earlier sadness dissipated quickly with the devilish smirk that came as he drove me to a destination.

I had showered after ballet practice and I felt revigorated. Maybe it could be my desperate attempt to cling to affection after being so lonely, my grappling at happiness. Taking the feelings and enjoying this foreign sensation of seduction and tenderness.

His hand clutched my thigh firmly as he drove through the wilderness, the engine purring slowly as our surroundings faded into dazzling lights.

His phone rang, Raphael's name glittering up on the screen.

"Darius. Where are you?" He asked, his honey laced words so husky and sweet at the same time. 
But there was a sense of displeasure under surface, ever so subtle to someone like me but to Darius who had known him forever- obvious.

"We're on our way." Darius replied tersely. 

"Let's meet at the Fuller's joint. Bye Juliette" Raphael replied, his voice softening towards the end.

The line disconnected, with the silence following.

Darius tapped his finger on the steering wheel, as his brow furrowed in concentration.

I wish I had the ability to read minds.

We arrived at the joint, which was empty. 

It was scary how quiet this place got.

Getting out of the car, we waiting besides the car. A couple of minutes, a black car swiftly came into view and stopped in front of us.

"What the fuck were you thinking?" 

I could feel the tension and hear the intensity in his tone. There's a great deal of emotion behind these words he is speaking. 

It touched me on how angry he was for me. He knew of how taken back I was.

In two steps, he had grasped Darius by the shoulder, grapping at his throat. Going to throw a punch at his face, if not Alaric who had firmly pulled them apart. 

"No need for the violence." He didn't seem as mad, more understanding.

As if he knew what Darius was going through. 

As if he would have done the same.

I could feel the anger resurfacing. Now what was he hiding?

Could they just come clean and spill all the beans?

What was the need for secrecy.

"Now what's the plan?" Alaric continued.  "Why did you call us here?"

"I want to hit the headquarter's office tonight. I got the pin for the security locks and I want to check it out today before too much time gets on." Darius explained.

"Oh it must have been hard for you get that information." Raphael sarcastically responded, stressing his words which were laced with double meaning.

Darius' jaw tensed, "I had to do it, I saw no other option. It's not like I wanted to do what I did." He firmly retorted. "Juliette, my intention wasn't to hurt you. I just did what I had to do."

I looked at him, his brilliant blue eyes shining deeply.

"It's not something I can easily accept. If you were in my shoes, you wouldn't like it either. Perhaps you would hate it more. But I get it." I responded candidly, brushing off my leggings.

We stared at each other for a moment.

"Let's just move on." I added. This was about his mother and even more salient,  his future. Passing the verdict and inheriting this massive empire.

"Yes," He muttered back. Let's just do that.

This time we went back in our cars after Darius telling to follow us to the office we were supposed to raid for some evidence.

God please let me be not clumsy.

I will be the reason we get caught if we do.

Let's not fall over air. Juliette you can do this.

Darius started the engine again and turned look at me.

"Juliette, I promise you I won't hurt you again." He clutched my hand to his lips as he kissed them.

" You shouldn't make promises that you won't keep."  I sadly smiled back.

That's it.

I would appreciate your comments and thoughts.

Side note- it's come to my attention that someone thinks it's okay to copy my book and read a chapter and write their own using mine as some sort of  textbook reference. 1. I'm honoured you're reading. 2. DON'T COPY MY BOOK or I won't update.

Thank you!