part 21

It’s been about a month, and Cross is able to speak, more or less. He slurs a lot of his words, but he’s getting there. Cross had decided that he won’t speak until he is ready to confess. Confess to Nightmare that he likes him. Cross is also talking to Killer in speech lessons, but that is about it.

“Today is the day!” Cross said to Killer as he went to his lesson.

“You can do it!”

Cross smiled and worked on pronouncing his R’s and not making them sound like W’s. 

“There you go!” Cross had managed to pronounce Error’s name correctly. Usually he would pronounce it like “Ewwah.” It had always made Killer laugh.

After the lesson, and some tea to help calm down, he went to Nightmare, who was signing some papers. He lightly tapped Nightmare on the shoulder. 

“Yes, Cross?” Nightmare has always given Cross his full attention when they are talking.
“I- . . . l- . . .” Cross was really nervous. Nightmare realized he was trying to talk. He remained silent and patiently waited for Cross.

“N-Nightmare?”

He smiled a bit at Cross’s efforts. “Yes?”

“I-  l . . . o . .” 

Nightmare gently rubbed his head. “It's okay, take your time.”

“I lo- . . .” He took a deep breath. “I love you!”

Nightmare blushed a lot. There was no hiding that. “I-.” He didn’t know how to respond. He loved Cross as well, but he was unsure the feeling was mutual. He smiled and pulled Cross into a hug. “I love you too.”

Cross hugged back and decided to do something risky. He stood on his toes and kissed Nightmare on the cheek. Nightmare had a really deep cyan blush now. He returned the gesture and Cross had a similar reaction. He squeaked and had a dark lilac blush.