part 13

Blue laughed. “Good luck trying to figure out who Shattered is!” Ink whispered something to Blue. “Yes, Ink, he is. Don’t tell them!”

Nightmare was even more confused. He walked up to Shattered and stood right in front of him, staring into his eye. Then he noticed the circlet on top of Shattered’s head. “D-Dream?”

“Wow! You are clever, Nightmare! Good job!” 

“D-Dream, please tell me this is a sick joke. PLEASE TELL ME YOU DID NOT EAT THE APPLE!?”

“Aw, Nightmare! I did it for you, brother. You always complained that I would never understand how you feel. Well,” he giggled, “I do. I do understand how you feel.” 

Nightmare was looking down. “Cross, go home and tell the others I will be gone for a while. Don’t come looking for me.” Cross nodded and left.

Shattered switched back to Dream. “Hello Nightmare.”

Nightmare could not respond. He fell to the ground, crying. “I’m sorry Dream! I’m sorry!” he continued to cry and apologize. Dream sat next to him and waited for Nightmare to calm down. What happened to Nightmare surprised Dream. Slowly, the odd goop seemed to melt away, revealing white bone. Dream held his breath, hoping that what he thought was happening was happening. 

All the goop melted off of Nightmare, leaving a slightly smaller skeleton who looks almost exactly like Dream. He was in a purple tunic and had violet eyes. If Cross was still there, he would have recognized him as the purple skeleton in the painting in Nightmare’s room. Dream immediately hugged the now passive Nightmare. “Nightmare!” 

He hugged back as well, “Hey, Dream.” he started to cry and he continued to cry as he held on to Dream.

Blueberry, of course, took pictures. “Aw! What a cute reunion!”

His eyes were blue now and his knife was gone. Ink came up, his eyelights back to normal. “What happened?”

Nightmare returned to his passive form! Remember when Dream would always tell us that he wished this day would come?”

“Oh, yeah. That’s awesome!” Ink grinned and the two joined in the hug.