Daisuga - The Five Stages of Grief 🤕

This one is kinda long and very angsty fyi

"Do you want to talk about it?" Daichi asked, sitting next to his boyfriend Sugawara. He placed down a plate of cookies as he sat, hoping that Sugawara would take one. His question hung still in the air, and Daichi accepted that he wasn't going to get a response.

Suga had been like this for a few weeks now, coming home late after Daichi and ignoring him, either sitting on the couch and sleeping or going to their room and locking Daichi out. Daichi had been patient though, if something was bothering Suga, then Daichi would be there. If he wanted to talk, he could talk. If not, then so be it.

They were both still sitting in the silence, Suga was curled up next to the armrest and making it apparent that he was looking away. Daichi had made a habit of asking Suga if he wanted to talk and then dropping it if he didn't. After that, he would make polite conversation with the wall.

"I stopped an active robbery today," he began, "someone was trying to steal jewelry and expensive stuff like that, a bit cliche if you ask me. He had a gun, too. I don't know how he managed to get one because he didn't have a license, but I guess criminals have their ways. After that the day was pretty quiet. I went on patrol with Fujimoto...I think I've told you about her..."

Daichi continued on with his stories, and Suga continued to actively not look at Daichi. After Daichi had finished his conversation with himself, he sighed and stood up, taking the plate of cookies with them.

As he walked past to go to the kitchen, Suga grabbed onto his sleeve and took a cookie. He then promptly let go and looked away again. Daichi smiled to himself, that was the most recognition he had gotten from his boyfriend in weeks. Maybe things were finally on their way to getting back to normal.

At least, it seemed that way at first.

Suga had started spending more and more nights sleeping on the couch while Daichi took the bed. He didn't want Suga to sleep on the couch, but no matter how hard he tried he couldn't get Suga to go to the bed. Some nights Daichi would hear muffled sobs and he would walk out of the bedroom to find Suga crying. He would try his best to comfort him, but he was pushed away every time.

He looked back on the previous months and scoured his memories for something that could've happened that would have caused Suga to be this way, but he turned up with nothing. He tried asking over and over again if he had done anything or if anyone had done something to him, but time and time again he was ignored.

That was, until Suga finally started talking.

"Sawamura," Suga had croaked one night while Daichi was in the middle of relaying his day at work. He immediately stopped talking and put his full focus towards his boyfriend. Maybe, he thought, everything was going to work out now. Maybe Suga was finally ready to talk.

"Yes?" Daichi replied, trying not to sound too desperate. Suga sighed and finally, finally looked at Daichi straight on for the first time in weeks. Daichi was relieved at first, but the look on Suga's face made the relief fly away. He looked hurt, hurt like he had never looked before.

"Do you think we should break up?"

...

What?

Daichi's mouth hung open like some kind of stunned animal. The muscles on his face were contracting and relaxing over and over as Daichi tried to process what his boyfriend-possibly the love of his life-had just said.

"What?"

"Should we break up," Suga said again, more like a statement rather than a question. The answer seemed obvious to Daichi, no, god no. Never would the thought have even crossed his mind.