Chapter 1

Arcane's POV-

Arcane's POV-

My name means- understood by few; mysterious or secret.
Then there is my sister Caterina- which means "pure".
It's weird how perfect our names fit ourselves. I am mysterious in quite a few ones so I have been told. I don't show emotions to anyone but Cat. I don't tell anyone anything about myself even Cat. I have many secrets as well that I will most likely take to my grave.

Now that Caterina, she is pure and innocent in many ways. I have made it my life's mission to give her what she deserves what I never had. I don't ever want her to know the things that have happened to me, to know the things I have sacrificed for her, I want her to live life and be happy, and pure to the truths of the world. I know I sound naive thinking I can keep her from the horrors of the world but I will do everything I can to give her the best and not have to look over her shoulder for the rest of her life.

Maybe now that Walter has finally died we can move and live somewhere else and she can live more happily. But I'm not 18 yet, the fucker couldn't wait another few months.

I was going to be the one to kill him but no he couldn't wait he had to OD now.

I feel bad Cat was the one that found him because I wasn't home I went to the gym. When I got home though I was so scared something happened to her, she is my anchor and doesn't know it. Without her I would lose the sliver of humanity I have left.

I'm pulled out of my thoughts by Cat shaking me and saying we have arrived at the police station. Walking in I see Chief Dale, "Arcane It's so strange to see you walk in here without handcuffs." I just stuck my tongue and middle finger out at him, making him and Cat snicker.  Rolling my eyes I sit on the bench.

20 minutes later, Chief Dale and a woman with a sickly sweet smile comes over and says "Hi I am Melanie Williams, your new social worker, I am so sorry for your loss. First things first is we are going to do a DNA test to see if you guys have any blood relatives before we put you in foster care."

Her mentioning blood relatives made my jaw clench and I squeezed my hand closed causing my  nails to break the skin of my palms.

"Listen we don't need that or foster care in a few months I'll be 18 so does it really even matter." I say trying not to punch a wall or Melanie's face.
"I'm sorry it doesn't work like that we have to do the DNA test." she replied

"Ari its fine, what's the harm its not like we have any blood relatives so just let her do it." Cat's soft quiet voice comes through.

"Fine." I say with a tight lipped smile.

"Arcane come with me" Dale says and I get up and follow him to his office.