CH. 15 Punching Bag

The Slice was packed with hungry customers. A party was taking place. Manic children were running all over the place, yelling from the top of their lungs. People were complaining and rushing us to refill the salad bar. Demanded to refill the soda machine with ice. Others demanded for their pitchers of beer. Impatient ones kept coming up to the counter to ask about their pizzas. For the time being, the dine in area was closed. It was a full house.

Phones rung nonstop.

It was chaotic.

I didn't know whether to answer the phone or help a customer at the counter. While taking a order on the phone, other customers were trying to get my attention. Grew frustrated and impatient when I singled for them to give me a minute. Couldn't they see and understand that I was busy? Seriously, it was very rude of them.

Stressed out, Ivy took orders at the counter and helped the customers. I focused on and took care of the phone orders. They seemed to never stop. It didn't help that Madison was on her break. Ugh, I was supposed to be in the kitchen today but Frank put me up front to help since it was extremely busy. Being up front was better I guess. I glanced back into the kitchen and saw Mauricio and Johnny struggling to finish the order tags. They looked overwhelmed with stress.

Finally, the phones stopped ringing and I was able to take a breather. A bell rung, which made me groan. That bell meant that a pizza was ready to be taken out to its designated table. Ivy was still helping customers, so I hurried for the pizza to take it out. Mauricio gave me the table number in a hurry as he cut a pizza into slices. There was no time for anything.

"Hang in there," I encouraged and walked away with the tray of pizza.

The dine in area was complete chaos, so it took me a while to find the table. Kids almost knocked me over. I reached the table. A group of Madison's friends grinned hungrily when they saw the pizza.

"About time," Madison snorted, showing off in front of her friends. "By the way, you're out of ice," she mocked.

"Then you better refill it when you come back from your break," I retorted sarcastically as I placed the pizza in the center of the table. All at once, her friends reached for it.

"Tori," a friend of hers called for me. "Do you mind bringing us a cheese shaker?" she asked for. "I would get it myself but I'm not trying to get stomped on by a bunch of lunatics," fearfully, she eyed the running and crazed kids.

I chuckled, "Yeah, no problem."

Unlike with Madison, I got along with her friends. They were more on the acquaintance side since I hardly interacted with them but we were cool with each other. My only problem was with Madison but her friends didn't have to pay for it. As long as they didn't mess with me.

"Oh and Tori?" Another one of her friends waved her hand in the air for me to look at her. "Don't worry, we're gonna leave you a tip," she assured.

"You don't have to," clearly annoyed, Madison stated. I could tell that she didn't like that her friends were nice to me. Obviously, she didn't tell them what happened between us. Otherwise, they would have teased us about it. I knew how her group of friends acted. Loved to have a good laugh out of uncomfortable and awkward situations. "She's doing her job."

I rolled my eyes, "Then why are you always complaining about customers not leaving you a tip?" I pointed out.

"Ooooh!" her friends teased, gaining attention from other customers.

"And by the way, someone's stealing your bike," I pointed out the window. In panic, she looked over. "Sike!" I walked away laughing, gaining laughs from her friends. Madison hissed at them.