20 - In Case Forever ends Tomorrow

Start from the beginning

The raging winds of the storm grew stronger, the roaring sky too loud for Crowley to hear. He watched Aziraphale as the angel unfolded massive, white, powerful wings. He shot into the sky, flying higher, higher, higher.

"AZIRAPHALE!" Crowley yelled, "STOP!"

The angel didn't hear. If he did, he didn't come back.

"IT'S TOO DANGEROUS UP THERE! AZIRAPHALE!"

But the angel was already gone.

Crowley had no choice but to follow. He would have anyway, because he loved Aziraphale more than anything in the world. He loved him so much he flew straight into the storm of the war to try and stop him. Crowley's wings ached from the force that he was using, his hair soaking wet and his feathers heavy from the rain. Aziraphale hadn't come down, which meant he was still going up.

Higher.

Higher.

Higher.

Please, Crowley thought desperately, Angel, come home! Let me protect you...

That was all Crowley wanted. He was a sad demon who couldn't stand to lose his best friend. The rain came down harder, so hard Crowley had to squint behind his glasses. Even then he couldn't see in front of him. Still he followed Aziraphale.

Where is he going?! Crowley thought frantically. He was seriously beginning to worry he was going to fail. That he wouldn't be able to save the angel.

... We were supposed to have forever.

How could they have lied? Angels and demons were promised eternity - they were promised all the days and all the nights. He wanted forever with Aziraphale. He didn't want to die.

... What if forever ends tomorrow?

"Aziraphale, please!" Crowley cried, flying against the rain. The sky rumbled, flashes of light striking open areas. The demon hesitated, reminded briefly of the last war between Heaven and Hell. Only, Hell hadn't existed yet. Lucifer, Beelzebub, Hastur.... All of them had Fallen in the war. They'd created Hell. Crowley had been the last recorded member of the Fallen, not including the new demon called Elidith, who had supposedly Fallen on purpose.

Crowley reached above the clouds, landing on what had the illusion of solid ground. Aziraphale stood there, his pure white wings spread out to their full extent. His face was steak with tears and water, his wings heavy with rain. Crowley's hair lay flat on his head now, completely and utterly soaked from the storm. He had silent tears falling from his eyes too, but no one could see behind his sunglasses. Aziraphale gripped his flaming sword in his hand, his knuckles white.

They'd reached Heaven.

But there were no pleasures, no peace, no safety there anymore. It was just empty, like there had been no angels there at all.

"Angel, please," Crowley gasped, out of breath. Aziraphale was breathing heavily too, but he didn't look up. Crowley reached for the angel's hand, taking it in his and moving closer.

"Let me go." Aziraphale growled, trying to pull away. Crowley didn't release him.

"I said don't touch me." the angel hissed, an edge to his voice as he tore his hand away, pushing Crowley back, ever so slightly towards the edge. The demon stumbled away, not failing to notice the edge drawing closer.

Aziraphale took a step forward.

"Angel? What... what are you doing?" Crowley asked slowly, glancing behind him at the seemingly endless drop.

The wind was roaring around them, so loud Crowley barely heard himself.

"Aziraphale, what are you doing?!" Crowley repeated as the angel stepped forward again, "You don't know what they'll do to you! They'll hurt you, Aziraphale, they'll kill you! They're going to end the war, and Earth will come with it!"

"See?" Aziraphale said softly.

"What?"

"See," Aziraphale said again, "You lied. You always lie. You said you would protect me. You said you would never hurt me. That you loved me. You said we had forever."

Aziraphale raised his sword, the fires not being put out, despite the rain. He pointed it at Crowley.

He's going to hurt me, Crowley thought.

"Aziraphale, I'm sorry."

"What happened to forever? What are you going to do, dear, when forever ends?"

Crowley swallowed as the blade was moved closer. He could feel the heat on his face, he could see the rain shimmer on Aziraphale's cheeks.

If forever ends tomorrow, I'll be sad.

All the things I want to tell you could never be spoken.

If forever was a lie, they would have taken you away.

Still, my heart is broken.

If forever ends tomorrow, why are we wasting today?

But you don't love me anymore, and I wish it didn't have to be that way.

"When the world ends, I'll find you in another life, on a better day, and fall in love with you all over again."

Aziraphale's expression didn't change. He jabbed the sword towards Crowley again, pressing it into his skin. Crowley's eyes glittered with uncontrollable tears as he flinched away, one foot slipping off the edge. He balanced on the narrow space, quickly realising he had nowhere to go.

"Stop!" Crowley pleaded, "Don't do this!"

I'm afraid to Fall again.

"I love you, Aziraphale!"

"You're a demon," Aziraphale replied, "And demons can't love."

In a last minute, very desperate attempt to be loved, Crowley threw his arms around Aziraphale, fear overtaking him.

"Get away from me!" Aziraphale drove the flaming sword into Crowley's side, piercing skin and drawing blood. Crowley cried out in pain, his eyes darting to the red wound that was slowly dripping blood. Another gust of wind came and Aziraphale shoved Crowley back, the demon tumbling off the edge of Heaven.

Crowley had never been in so much pain. The rain whipped his face like burning needles as he fell, calling Aziraphale's name over and over. The air was sucked out of him, and he squeezed his teary eyes shut, trying to fly.

"SOMEONE HELP ME!" he screamed, his heart racing. He wrapped his dark wings around himself and spiralled closer and closer to the ground.

Crowley was slammed so hard into the ground he couldn't breathe. He felt his wings shatter under the impact, a new wave of unbearable pain washing over him. He gasped for air, black beginning to spread across his blurry vision. He began to sob from the pain, and noticed the blood becoming sticky on his side. His hands were clutching the spot the sword cut, his whole body shaking. He attempted to move his wing from underneath him, but he cried out with the amount of pain it caused. His chest rose and fell in an uneven pattern, and he closed his eyes. His heart was broken into pieces smaller than the bones in his wings, and neither would ever be able to work again.

"A-Az... Aziraphale..." he whispered, some part of him still hoping his angel would come.

No one came.

No one ever came.

It was that moment that Crowley knew two things;

The first being that he knew that it was said demons were incapable of loving anyone. He'd then decided that wasn't true. It wasn't that demons couldn't love - it was that there was no one who could ever love them in return.

The second thing?

He still loved Aziraphale.