10 - Not In Heaven or Hell

~ Crowley's Perspective ~

The demon thought he had nothing left to fight for. The war was pointless to him. Should have been pointless. But then, some part of him, deep down, still burned with a hope that Beelzebub had not snuffed out. A flame that only had a faint glow remaining, a fire that could not be put out.

As long as you love him.

As long as Crowley loved Aziraphale, there would always be some sort of hope. Something left to fight for. He walked behind Beelzebub, an endless trail of demons lined up behind him, ready to win a war that could not be won.

"Let me go! I WILL NOT FIGHT!" Crowley whipped his head towards the sound of a female, shrieking at two demons who were dragging her from a pool of black sulfur. Her head hung lowly as she bared her teeth, or, her fangs. She had shimmering scales on her face that covered her fair skin like stars. Her eyes were green, and shadows dripped from them. Her hair, dark brown, long and pin straight, was dripping with darkness Crowley knew hadn't been there before. He knew because when he looked at her wings, they were broken and bleeding, dark red seeping into midnight feathers. She screamed as they took her, screamed for peace and shouted things at those who passed her.

"Kill me," She rasped, "I dare you,"

Crowley swallowed from his place behind Beelzebub, knowing damn well the demons holding her would take their words seriously. He glanced up at her, and her emerald green eyes met his.

"So they haven't killed you yet," She crooned, her words heaving into a sigh. Her eyes shone with curiosity and yet were clouded in pain.

Crowley stared back.

"You were the angel from the bookshop," He pieced together out loud. She smiled in response. In front of him, Beelzebub shot a glare at the demons that would send normal people running.

"Do not waste your breath conversing with her. She is of no use to us. Heaven's rubbish, that's what she is. Unwilling to fight. Take her to the pits," Beelzebub waved their hand in dismissal, and the demons kept walking, the Fallen angel hissing and squirming. She was much stronger than Crowley had been after his Fall. He'd sat there for days, unable to move. He'd cried for weeks. He had never truly healed.

"You!" She screamed at Crowley, who jerked his head back at her, "You loved that angel. Aziraphale. You loved him, I saw it. I saw it in your eyes when you asked where he was. I saw him in Heaven, you know. I've not forgotten. You haven't let this tyrant -" The Fallen angel jabbed a pointed claw at Beelzebub, "- Control you, have you? Do not bow to her. Do not bow to Heaven. Do not fight in the war. I will not beg," She said, her voice dropping, "But do not let her break you."

"I am already broken, Fallen angel." Crowley said, his voice dull and filled with grief.

"Come along, Crowley. Do not listen to her." Beelzebub said sharply.

"You can still save him," The dark haired female argued, "I may be beyond saving..." She looked down at her useless wings, "But he is not. Save him, demon. Save your angel."

"Take her to the pits," Crowley echoed, turning away from her fierce green eyes. The guilt choked him, but he didn't look back.

"You'll regret this," She spat, "All of you! Especially you, Serpent."

Crowley swallowed his fear and regret, and followed Beelzebub back up the stairs of Hell. The dark walls were cracked and old, the steps crumbling with age. Thousands of demons marched up to earth, carrying weapons that could kill the holiest of angels in a single swipe. Crowley had no weapon, only his fire. He was a low-life demon, worthless. He probably wouldn't be trusted with a weapon anyways. The light at the top of the stairs was not white or blue, but red with flames that stained the sky. One by one, the demons emerged and lined up, gazing towards a line of white feathered angels. Crowley scanned the soldiers of angels for Aziraphale, growing hot with shame. He couldn't let that get in his way. Still, he let out a breath of relief when he did not see his Angel amongst those in the front lines.