20 - In Case Forever ends Tomorrow

~ Crowley's Perspective ~

Crowley stood soaking wet on the doorstep of Aziraphale's bookshop. He saw something he'd never seen before, something that didn't belong in his angel's eyes. Aziraphale had been angry with Crowley before. He'd been hurt by him before. But he'd never really been... this kind of angry. Crowley fixed his sunglasses, swallowing hard. Rain began to pour down on them, the dark clouds looming dangerously overhead.

The war was ending.

Someone was winning.

Crowley would waste no time. He glanced to the sky, his eyes widening behind his wall of dark shades. He looked at Aziraphale.

"Angel, I -"

"Shut. Up." Aziraphale snarled, "Just shut up."

"Please, Aziraphale -"

"No!" the angel cried, causing Crowley to flinch, "I don't want to hear it."

"You don't understand," Crowley tried.

"I said STOP! Go away."

"I... Excuse me...?" Crowley said, his head spinning, "Angel, please, I did this for you. Because I love you. You know that's true. Now that you've signed the contract we can be together! If we ensure that Hell wins this war, they'll spare us! And we can be happy. I thought... I thought you'd want that."

"GO AWAY, CROWLEY! Didn't you hear me?! I don't want to see you! Not now, not anymore, not ever!"

"I did it for us," Crowley said so softly even the stars didn't hear.

"How could you?!" Aziraphale shot back, "You lied to me, drugged me, signed away my grace?! Do you know what you've done?!"

"I'm sorry," Crowley said, his voice reduced to nothing but a whisper. He could feel tears beginning to well in his eyes, and his bottom lip trembled slightly. He reached for Aziraphale's hand, desperately clinging onto whatever hope he had left. Their fingertips brushed, and the angel shoved Crowley's hand away.

It hurt the demon's heart.

"Leave, or I'll make you."

"Aziraphale, you don't understand!" he repeated, "It was the only way, I had to, I couldn't bear to see you die! You have to understand..."

"You are selfish, Crowley. I thought you were different. Not like other demons. I was wrong. You are just as cold-hearted, thoughtless, and self-centered as they are! I see why She made you Fall! You deserved it!"

Crowley was silent, too shocked to say anything.

"I love you." Crowley told Aziraphale boldly, "I'll love you no matter what."

"If you loved me, you wouldn't have lied to me."

"It's because I love you I did it! Because I care for you more than anything in the world! It's because I love you that I asked you to run away with me. Because I love you -"

"You lost me." Aziraphale finished.

Aziraphale's blue eyes glittered with tears, not of sadness, but anger. Crowley's own tears streamed down his face and mixed with the rain, so no one would ever be able to tell them apart.

"Aziraphale, please," Crowley begged, "Please forgive me. I have no one else. There's nowhere else for me to go."

"It's a big universe," Aziraphale mocked, quiet enough that only Crowley heard.