4 - If All the Stars Fall

~ Aziraphale's Perspective ~

Present Day.

Aziraphale was baffled. Crowley had gone home, and Aziraphale had returned to his bookshop, hanging his umbrella by the door. It was almost always raining in London, so Aziraphale's umbrella was pretty much always wet. He had pondered over Crowley's words the whole way back.

"You should know! You used to know!", Crowley had said. What had he meant by 'used' to know? Crowley had never spoken about his life as an angel until that day. Perhaps he had mentioned it before, and Aziraphale had simply forgotten? Surely something like that wouldn't have slipped his mind so easily. While Aziraphale was deep in thought, the small bell rang jingled at the door. The angel, who had now positioned himself on the couch, was utterly confused. He had put up the sign that read 'closed'. Who could possibly be here at this hour? Customers?

"We're closed!" Aziraphale called, getting up anyway.

"Surely not to me," The visitor called. Aziraphale recognised the voice immediately and scrambled over to his desk, reaching underneath the bottom drawer. He slowly slid out a blade, one that, as soon as it came into contact with his hand, burst into controlled, burning flames. He kept his hand on the handle, the only part not on fire. He held it behind his back as he crept towards the door, closer to the voice who had just let himself in.

"Aziraphale!" He called, "I know you're here!"

"Gabriel," Aziraphale greeted him, his voice shaking, just like his hands. Gabriel smiled, his perfect, fake smile. His hair was silver, neatly trimmed, and matched his suit jacket and trousers. His shirt, underneath the jacket, was white, and his tie was grey. His eyes were light violet, and his skin was slightly less pale than Aziraphale, though still fair. He was tall, maybe taller than Crowley, and much less lanky and thin. Unlike Crowley, Gabriel walked with proper posture and knew how walking worked. His hands were neatly folded behind his back, and something like pride shone behind his eyes.

"Aziraphale, really," He began, gesturing towards the sword, "There's no need for such drastic measures."

"O-of course not," Aziraphale said shyly, lowering the sword a tad but not loosening his grip, "I was afraid you might have been... Someone else."

"Who would dare approach one of God's angels? Aziraphale, don't be silly. Unless..." He narrowed his eyes, "You aren't still hanging around the demon... Crowley, are you?"

"No, no! I would never betray our side like that!" Aziraphale said nervously. Gabriel's fake smile vanished.

"In case you've forgotten, Aziraphale, you already have betrayed our side and failed the Almighty. You don't have a side."

At Aziraphale's silence, the corner's of Gabriel's mouth tilted up once more.

"But of course, the Almighty favours you still. She, unfortunately, has seen that there is no use in She is willing to give you another chance. All it would take is one mission - one task - and you will no longer be a traitor to Heaven."

Aziraphale's heart lifted. A great weight that the angel had not been able to remove could be lifted... He wouldn't be a wanted angel in Heaven anymore. No more trouble, no more war. Things could be normal again! It was the perfect opportunity to be happy. He could have everything he'd ever hoped for. There would be no war, he wouldn't be hunted, there would be no more running... He'd have his title back again.

Oh, Crowley would be so pleased! Aziraphale would tell him right away!

"Anything," Aziraphale begged, "I'd do anything for peace."