5 - Do you Trust Me?

~ Aziraphale's Perspective ~

Later that night...

After hours of talking, Aziraphale's eyelids had grown heavy. He'd been sitting one the other side of the same couch as Crowley.

"Crowley?" Aziraphale mumbled.

"Hm?" Came the demon's muffled response. Both of them were half asleep.

"Do... Do you trust me?" Aziraphale asked quietly, suddenly very awake. The whole night he'd been fighting off his guilt, convincing himself that this was the right thing to do. This was Heaven's will! It had to be done, and he'd been putting it off for six thousand years.

"Of course I trust you, Angel!" Crowley said sleepily, without hesitation. He closed his eyes, and turned towards Aziraphale, "You're an angel. You would never hurt anyone."

Aziraphale winced. Here he was, about to murder a demon who trusted him more than Aziraphale trusted God. This was a demon who'd been thrown out of Heaven for questioning God because he would never follow orders blindly. A demon who didn't trust Heaven's angel or Hell's demons. A demon who would fall asleep beside him without questions. A demon who trusted him completely.

Crowley had drifted off to sleep, and he had subconsciously moved closer to Aziraphale. He looked so peaceful, so... Un-demonic. His chest rose and fell slightly, his expression blank. His throat was completely exposed, and he was so unaware... He never believed Aziraphale would ever do this. The angel's hands trembled as he got up and walked over to his desk, reaching for the sword underneath. He sat back down on the couch, pointing the sword to Crowley's throat.

One movement. One, quick movement and he could go back to Heaven. He could have his old life back. There would be no war, and humanity and earth would be safe. All he had to do was use the sword to... to... kill Crowley.

He's evil, Aziraphale tried to convince himself, he is a demon, after all. It's my job to kill him. It's for the greater good.

He sounded like Gabriel. The greater good. Those words had always been Aziraphale's least favourite.

He's evil! Aziraphale's thoughts tried to tell him. But the angel didn't believe that for a heartbeat. Not when he looked down at the sleeping demon, his legs tucked into his chest and his sunglasses removed for the first time in a while.

"I can't," Aziraphale whimpered, "I can't..." He couldn't stop his hands from shaking as he held the flickering orange blade.

He couldn't kill Crowley. Not as he thought about everything the demon had done for him. All the small, unnoticeable things, and the bigger ones. The truth was that Aziraphale just couldn't kill someone he'd known for so long. They'd... They'd even become... Friends.

"Lord..." Aziraphale whispered, tears sliding down his cheeks, "Please don't make me do this. I can't... I can't do it."

The angel knew the Almighty would not answer his prayers. What he was asking was too much. He'd broken so many rules by loving Crowley.

"Please, Lord - I love him. I can't kill him," Aziraphale squeezed his eyes shut, unable to stop himself from crying. He'd just admitted, out loud, that he loved Crowley.

I'm in love with a demon.

"Crowley," He begged, "Wake up, please,"

Aziraphale ran fingers over the sleeping demon's forehead and through his fiery red hair. The angel wrapped his arms around Crowley, hugging him tightly.