18 - It Would Have Been Nice

~ Crowley's Perspective ~

"SOMEBODY KILLED MY BEST FRIEND!"

Crowley's eyes snapped open. He lurched forward, crying out as he did so.

"Aziraphale!" he sobbed, feeling fresh tears pool in his eyes and fall down his cheeks. His heart was racing in fear, and his whole body shook.

"It's alright, my dear." a soft voice whispered. Crowley felt Aziraphale wrap his arms around his waist and pull him close. The demon cried quietly into his shoulder, clutching the angel's coat and letting his tears soak through.

The bookshop was still dark. Crowley had fallen asleep with his angel the previous night, and they had shared a bottle of wine. Crowley peered at the walls, which were still covered in shadows. He was curled up on the sofa next to Aziraphale, the nightmare still vividly playing before his eyes. He tried to block it out, telling himself that it wasn't real. His best friend was alive and safe. Yet, flames still danced in his mind. His chest rose and fell with each shaky, weak breath.

"Angel, I'm scared!" Crowley wailed. Aziraphale gave his hand a tight, comforting squeeze and placed a gentle kiss on his forehead. Warmth blossomed inside Crowley at the tenderness of Aziraphale's touch.

"I'll stay right here, Crowley," Aziraphale said, his words softer than feathers. The demon was immensely grateful for Aziraphale's kindness. This was a large portion of why Crowley was... a 'nice' demon. All the things Aziraphale said and did for him made Crowley want to do the same.

He was also madly in love with Aziraphale. This, an obvious fact to seemingly everyone but Aziraphale, makes Crowley feel like he has to protect Aziraphale with his life. Lately, he'd been failing miserably at this task. Aziraphale had been severely hurt so many times, and yet, he was cuddling with Crowley, one hand on the demon's chest, and the other tangled in his red hair.

"Shhh, Crowley, my dear, stop crying. You're safe," the angel said quietly. He continued to run his fingers through Crowley's hair, the other over his heart.

"I-I can't p-protect you!" Crowley sobbed, his own hand flying up to grasp Aziraphale's. He could feel his heart beating incredibly fast still as tears welled in his eyes.

"My dear, you've been protecting me this whole time. It's my turn now."

"No!" the demon cried, "I f-failed! I l-let Beelzebub hurt you a-and then the h-hellfire... And I don't w-want you to be hurt b-because I love you!"

Aziraphale gazed at Crowley with pale blue ocean eyes. They twinkled with adoration, and Aziraphale gently brought Crowley close to his chest.

"I forgive you." the angel said.

This brought the demon a fresh wave of sadness and relief, causing him to cry more.

"Crowley, look at me." Aziraphale told him. Crowley obeyed, his lips quivering. Aziraphale titled his chin up, "Please don't cry. Go back to sleep."

"If I fall asleep, will you promise me you'll be safe?"

The angel nodded, holding Crowley's still shaking body.

"I'll be here when you wake up. I promise."

"I love you," Crowley whispered.

Crowley fell asleep before he could hear Aziraphale say he loved him back.

~ Aziraphale's Perspective ~

The next morning, Aziraphale was still next to Crowley. He had cradled the demon in his arms the whole night, fulfilling his promise to stay. The angel watched as Crolwey's serpentine eyes softly blinked awake and stared at him, a warm smile twisting onto his face. Aziraphale returned the gesture.