Chapter 9

Camila's P.O.V.

I thought Lauren was asleep, but apparently I was wrong. I was drowning myself in negative thoughts about everything that had happened today with Austin. I was still in a state of shock that my almost two year relationship was actually over, and not because we agreed that it would be best, but because he cheated on me. He really cheated on me, and for who knows how long? Was it weeks? Even months? I didn't even want to think about it, but my thoughts were like a tornado in my head when I was awake in the middle of the night like this.

I didn't even notice that I was crying untill I felt the hot tears flow down my cheeks and soak into my pillow. It was completely silent in the room except for my shaky breathing until Lauren spoke up, startling me.

"Camz?" she said unsurly.

It took a moment for me to pull myself together before I replied. I wanted to mask that I was crying because I really was being over dramatic about this, but I couldn't help it, I have a lot of feelings.

"I didn't know you were still awake." I settled on. Shit. My voice shook. There was no hiding it now.

She didn't say anything for a moment, but I heard the ruffling of the sheets, followed by the low click of my bedside lamp. I tried not to make eye contact because I was embarrassed, but Lauren was staring at me and I knew that I couldn't avoid her gaze for much longer. Slowly, I drew my eyes upward to meet hers. When our eyes met, I could no longer hold in my tears because the look on her face was so genuine; it was like seeing me hurt was hurting her. A silent tear fell onto my cheek.

"Come here, Camz." she gestured me to come closer to her. I wasn't sure how close she wanted me to get, so I moved slowly, but I soon realized that she meant for me to come into her arms.

Her embrace was comforting. I lied in her arms and just cried. She made me feel like it was okay to cry, that it was okay to feel and not have to hold it all in anymore. That's how I fell asleep; in her arms, with her hands grazing the tips of my hair comfortingly.

We woke up the next day and Lauren had to leave because she told her dad that they would have lunch. I didn't want her to leave, but she had already stayed an extra night more than I had originally asked, and I couldn't keep her from her family, so I let her go with a hug and a 'thank you,' before shutting myself in my room for the rest of the day.

-
Lauren's P.O.V.

After staying the weekend at Camila's house, me and the brown eyed girl were closer than ever. We were always around each other, and when were weren't we were texting. I'd meet her after every class, and we would spend our lunch periods together, laughing and talking the entire hour. Even when we were at our separate homes, we would text each other until the early hours of the morning.

Weeks went by like this; Camila and I would meet in the art room each day at lunch, and I would drive her home occasionally, but it was beginning to hurt to be around her. I was falling for the girl a little bit more every day, and not being able to express my feelings to her was effecting me emotionally. I did what I always do, and began to push her away.

The three year anniversary of the accident was coming up soon and I didn't need my feelings for Camila to overlap with the pool of emotions that would inevitably come that day. I didn't make the changes noticeable, or I tried not to. It's not like I cut off all interaction with Camila, I just attempted to avoid her during the day. I still spent my lunch period with her, but I avoided meeting her in the hallways like I used to, and I tried to escape the school parking lot before she even walked outside.

I hated to admit it, but I missed her. Two weeks had past of me avoiding her, and I had no idea if she had noticed or not. I missed texting her until the early hours of the morning, and meeting her between classes, and our rides home after school. I missed her laughter and I missed her quirkiness. Despite my constant attempts to avoid her and push my feelings for her away, the distance didn't do anything but make me crave her even more. I guess distance really does make the heart grow fonder.