Chapter 4

Camila's P.O.V

When I walked out of the school building it was pouring down rain. I was fucking furious. Today had to be the day my dad had to work late, and couldn't pick me up from school. I didn't have a car at the moment because I had never gotten my license; I generally just rode the subway to school in New York so there was no need for it.

When I say it was pouring I'm not exaggerating. This wasn't just a drizzle, it was like someone was pouring a giant bucket of water out of the sky directly on top of my head just because the world was against me.

I was halfway out of the parking lot when I heard someone yelling at me from a car. I assumed that it was one of these stuck up Miami boys or preppy girls, but when I turned around I was surprised to see Lauren. She was offering me a ride.

The first answer that came to my mind was "please God, yes," but I barley knew this girl, and I had no idea what I was getting myself into by getting into her car.

After declining twice, she asked my a third time, but this time I could hear sincerity in her voice that assured me that I could be safe with her. I got in her car and she had a towel in her passenger seat which I dried myself off with.

We had a small conversation about this song that came on while we were riding to my house, and I could see the passion in her eyes when she spoke about the lyrics, but she also seemed jittery for some reason.

When we finally reached my house, I got my stuff, thanked her for the ride, and ran to my front door. She waited for me to get inside, and a waved her goodbye before closing the door to my new house.

Something about Lauren interested me. She seemed genuine, and sweet, but there was a certain sadness about her that you could see with even the small amount of time I've been around her.

I pushed the thoughts of Lauren aside because all I wanted to think about right now was my boyfriend, Austin. We were supposed to FaceTime after school today and I was excited because I hadn't heard his voice since the move two weeks ago.

When I saw his name appear on my screen, I immediately answered, making sure I was holding my phone at a good angle. I saw him appear on my phone and nearly screamed; I was ecstatic.

We talked for about and hour about general things like how I was doing, if I'd made any friends, and how he was doing in basketball this season. I tried to make the conversation last, but he just seemed distant. He was short with me for the entire time we talked, but I just assumed it was a busy day and brushed it off.

After our conversation, ended, I showered, did my homework, and then got ready for bed. When I went to bed, I should have been thinking about Austin, and what his problem might have been today, but instead, all I could think about was the green eyed girl.

I sat in the darkness for a while and thought of all of the possible reason she might be sad. I was determined to find out. I had always been interested in people's stories, but something about Lauren sparked extreme curiosity that I couldn't easily let go of.

I drifted off to sleep trying to think of something I could say to the girl tomorrow to start a conversation. There was no doubt the bigger girl intimidated me, but there was a feeling in the pit of my stomach that told me we had to be friends.

-

For the next few weeks, I talked to Lauren more and more every day during lunch. We painted. We talked. We laughed. I felt myself becoming more comfortable around her, and I think she felt the same way.

I started noticing small details about her, like the way her eyes changed colors depending on her mood, and her raspy chuckle, and how she furrowed her eyebrows when she was concentrating. One thing I noticed about her was that even when she was laughing, there was a hint of sadness in her eyes. I wanted to know the story behind that sadness, but I knew I wouldn't ask, so I shifted my thoughts.