Ch. 22

-Steph's POV-

He's waiting for me to speak but I don't even know where to begin. He knows the gist of it but I haven't told him all the details. He's not going to judge you.

"It was a week after he proposed. We had just moved in together. I had finished making dinner and apparently made it too spicy. He slapped me. The next day he apologized with some flowers. I forgave him. The second time was when I got home late from Chelsea's house. He slapped me again. I forgave him the next day. The punches started after a football party we had. I was apparently flirting with one of his friends. He made me believe it was my fault he was hitting me. He always said 'you know I don't want to but...' when he was trying to apologize the next day. Even after he cheated on me, he blamed me. Said I never paid any attention to him. He was the one that took my virginity, after a year of dating. I didn't even want to have sex with him but he talked me into it. When I found him in bed with my assistant, Layla, I got the hell out of there. I drove straight to Chelsea's. She's the only one, other than you now, that knows the full story. I couldn't tell my brothers nor parents. I felt ashamed. So when I tell them that you know, they think you only know he abused me and cheated. Not the full story." I sigh. I can't look at him, too afraid of his reaction. He's not like Chase. He protected me today and I'll forever be grateful for that. I feel his hand reach across me, tugging my shirt until I'm facing him. He leans in and kisses me. I feel myself relax immediately.

"What was that for? Not that I'm complaining, just curious." I ask once we pull away.

"Mainly to calm myself down before I went to beat his ass."  I giggle, glad I have the same affect on him as he does me.

"Thank you for trusting me with that and I'm sorry you ever went through that. I swear I will never hurt you." He says, placing his hand on my cheek.

"I know that. You're nothing like Chase. And thank you for today."

"What did I do?" He asks, confused.

"You protected me. And even though I shut you out at the beginning, you didn't let me completely fall apart." I admit.

"Oh... I-uh I care about you. A lot. And even though you have an amazing body, I wasn't going to let you cry in the tub all night." I chuckle.

"I knew you were looking."

"Sorry baby, kinda hard not to." I roll my eyes but end up smiling. I lean in and kiss him softly then lay my head on his chest.

"I don't know what I did to deserve you." I whisper. He kisses the top of my head and pulls me closer.

"Just being you. And while I wouldn't mind cuddling all night, I do need to take you on a date." I chuckle.

"As long as I don't have to change." I say.

"Oh no. You are staying in my shirt. This will be the most unorthodox date ever." I laugh.

"I'd rather cooking in our underwear than dressing up and eating fancy food neither of us will like." He laughs and I look up at him. I really do love his laugh. It makes me smile every time.

"Fair enough. I'll take you out for some of the best pizza when we're in Boston."

"You say that so weird." He gives me a confused look.

"What? Boston?"

"Bahston." He laughs at my pronunciation.

"I do not sound like that." He says.

"Yes you do!" I laugh.

"You sound weird too! Every time you speak French, it confuses the hell outta me! What do you even say?"