Epilogue

Epilogue-

The warm air blasts through the car as speed down the the road to the house with the roof of my car folded down. I still can't believe that we were moving... So much has happened in a year's time. Mom and Justin got married just shy of two months and I couldn't be any happier. Mom and Justin both reassured numerous times that she wasn't trying to replace my dad and Justin didn't want to replace him. It's super weird now that Jaxon is actually my stepbrother, but I think it's super cool.

I turn my radio up louder to 'Come a Little Closer' by Cage the Elephants and step on the gas to speed up.

Everybody was at the house finishing packing and loading up the boxes to move to the new house. I was already late with the extra boxes and tape from the store and mom had already called twice about them. With Mom getting remarried, she felt it was time to start somewhere new, a new chapter with new memories. I understand what she means though, this house that my dad and mom bought was suppose to be their home. They poured their sweat and tears into designing and making it into what was suppose to be their forever home, their dream home. I've caught mom saying a few times after dad's death that this didn't feel at home anymore. She had all of these great memories of us growing up that kept being overshadowed of her becoming a widow in this house, and of me going missing and almost dying because of some spirit. That was all I could think of, what had happened. I still found myself falling into these nightmares of being alone and stuck at night. I could use a new scenery for change too, plus I hated going across the bridge; it always kept me on the edge of having a panic attack.

So, when mom got married, she just wanted to have a small wedding and then some friends and family over to fill the house with love and laughter again. That's all dad wanted, he loved hosting things at our house. Before the after party of the wedding, we hadn't had anybody over since my dad's funeral. Jaxon and Liam were the most anybody were over, besides Jaxon's dad. Mom kept from people when she could for several months, besides going to work and trying to raise us alone. Mom just wanted to have one last happy memory in our home that reminded her of dad before we left. Mom got married on a Saturday, and she had our house on the market within two weeks, and within another ten days, our house had already had an offer above market. So, here we were now, packing up our home and moving. The new house was actually cool though, it was this huge home in the woods up around Forsyth, about thirty minutes away from here.

I think another reason reason mom wanted to move because she didn't want to live in a home with Justin that was meant for her and dad. That she didn't want dad to think that she moved on and that it was her and Justin's home now and not their's. It was only ever going to be their's, frozen in time.

I slow down around the sharp corner before the bridge and drop my speed all the way down, barely edging across the pavement. This was going to be one of the last times I ever drive here, especially going home. I used to think that this house was my home, but it's not. With everything that's happened over the past year and a half, I came to find out that home is where your family is. I take that to heart everyday, no matter where I may be, or them, I know that they are my home and that I'm loved.

Something urges me to stop as I stare at the edge of the bridge railing, right where that man jumped last summer, the night I disappeared. Faint whispering filled my mind as I sat there staring. Something compels me to get out of the car and walk over to the edge of the, this feeling kept pulling at me until I put my car into park and opened the door.

Without the wind blowing against my face, it was rather hot outside. Beads of seat already forming on the back of my neck and across my forehead. Make this quick Nathan, I tell myself silently. I reach the edge of the railing and look over to the moving water minding its own business, just silently following the way of the land. I veer off into the distant of the woods towards the area of where the bus was. I still couldn't believe that the bus that went missing all those years ago, was where I was the whole time. After I was found, they dug the bus up and found the 33 people that went missing years ago too. I find myself pulling out my wallet and grabbing the button I had kept, I didn't know what to do with it. It was time to let everything go though, stop letting the past drag me down.