Chapter Thirty - Smack

It's time.

Many training shoes squeaked against the floor in the gym, the sound echoed against the walls. Nekoma lined up at the opposing side from Karasuno, the net separating the two teams. The day of the match was finally here.

Hinata's eyes were glittering and even Kageyamas eyes were shinier than usual. They had all been waiting for this.

Kenma on the other side had his usual cool look on his face, weirdly relaxed. Kuroo on the other hand looked confident as always.

Someone blew the whistle and the match was on.

0 - 0

Let's go!

"Do you think they'll be okay?" Yatchi said from the side, clutching a notebook in her hands, not really knowing why she brought it.

"Of course, they have dealt with way more pressure before" Kiyoko reassured. "Remember nationals?"

"Are you sure it was Nationals?" Yachi questioned.

"You know, I'm not sure actually" Kiyoko admitted. "My point is, they can handle it"

---

It was Daichi's turn to serve. He threw the ball high above his head and hit it hard with the palm of his hand. It flew across the court, but Nekoma received and picked up the speed, not that Karasuno couldn't keep up with that.

Then the one thing happened, that wasn't allowed to happen.

Hinata ran across the court and jumped high up in the air, waiting for Kageyama's toss. Kageyamas took position and waited for the ball to reach him.
The moment was lined up perfectly.

Or so they thought.

Kageyama lined up the shot and tossed it behind him, he heard a hit as he landed on the floor again. Not the normal kind of hit from a hand though, and by the "ouggh" as a reaction from Kuroo on the other side of the net, it didn't sound like a normal hit either.

The ball bounced away across the floor as the gym fell silent. The ball hit Hinata right in the face.

Hinata fell to the floor. Suga rushed up to him and touched his face slightly before turning it left and right like a mother would to look at it properly. "Are you okay?"

Hinata was too out of it to respond. Kageyama froze in his spot.

"Dude you killed him" Nishinoya joked but even Tanaka hit him in the shoulder and shook his head. This was bad, and Kageyama knew it. He wanted to walk up to him but didn't know if he should, what if he injured him for real?

Then he saw blood on Sugawaras hands and he immediately ran in the opposite direction. He didn't think he just ran, out of the gym back to the dorms. He hurt the one he loved yet again, how more useless of a boyfriend could he be?

Back at the court Kiyoko and Yachi had been called in and place Hinata on a carrier so they could escort him out of there, and since Kageyama, the setter, was missing, Sugawara stayed to play the game and Daichi went with Kiyoko and Yachi.

Back at the dorms Kageyama stood over the sink in the bathroom. He looked up at his reflection and tried to focus but his eyes were blurry. His thoughts were racing in his head and all his attempts to make sense of it failed. Why does he always hurt the people close to him? What if they will turn on him like his old team mates did? What if he will toss one day and no one will be there, like before he knew Hinata? Kageyama couldn't stop the tears. They piled up and flooded down his cheeks. How could this happen?

---

Hinata woke up in the same room as he has found Kenma in earlier. He blinked a few times to adjust to the headlight that was right above his head. He could hear Kiyoko and Yachi talking outside the room but he couldn't hear what they were saying.

"Oh, you're awake" Daichi said and Hinata turned his head to look at him. "You were knocked out pretty good" Daichi chuckled.

Hinata groaned and felt his face ache against his fingers, his nose was very warm and seemingly stuffed with paper.

"I hope he didn't break your nose back there, it wouldn't stop bleeding" Daichi knocked on the door to let the girls know they could come back inside.

"Are you okay?" Yachi hurried up to Hinata and looked him up and down with a worried look on her face. Hinata nodded.

"You don't think we need to run an x-ray on him, do you?" Kiyoko turned to Daichi. "Because we don't have a car to drive him to the hospital."

"He should be fine, his nose is just swollen, I think" Daichi guessed and titled his head back to look at Hinatas nose properly. He chuckled and returned to his normal pose.

"Where is Kageyama?" Hinata said and sat up a bit, resting on his arms.

They all looked at each other, but no one could answer him.