Chapter 32

Last chapterrr...

Scar was dead. 

After all of this, Scar was dead. 

After everything.

All the pain.

The memories.

The imprisonment. 

He was dead. 

Cub didn't speak, looking down at the body of this closest friend. He should be dead too. They should've both died. Together. Their punishment for not knowing what to do. 

'I'm Cub.'

'Scar.'

Their first introduction came to him like an arrow to the chest. They'd both been so scared. Jellie had been there. Also scared. 

'I can't do this. I just can't. And I know that one slip will lose everything for both of us. Cub, I don't want to let you down.'

'Everything will be fine. I promise. You'll get through this.'

'When will it end?'

'I don't know. But it will end.' 

The first time he'd cried. 1 of 3 times.  They'd just been kicked out of the CREEP. What would've happened if they hadn't been? Would they still be on Hermitcraft? Would this entire thing've actually happened? Would Scar be dead?!

'Cub, are you alright?' Grian's voice reached him through the memories. He didn't reply. 

'It's not Scar's fault. I got him into this stuff.'

He'd tried to help. Tried to protect Scar. Here. That was their first time here. In the Vex Cathedral. He'd failed. He should've died. He didn't protect Scar forever. He couldn't protect Scar forever. They both knew it. They both knew their relationship would end in death. 

'Cub?'

'Yeah?'

'What would you do if I did die? As in, for real. No respawn?'

'I... would be sad?'

'Would you ever get over it?'

'Probably not. You're my best friend, Scar.'

'And we've had lots of good moments together. Moments to remember, and still laugh at. I don't want my death to be a sad thing. I want to be remembered for what good stuff I did do, not what stuff I didn't do, or what I missed, or conversations I never got to have...'

It had happened. And he had to remain true to Scar's wishes. He wasn't going to cry. He was going to get over this. Smile through the pain. 

He stood up, for the first time realising he'd been kneeling, head down. Grian looked at him, face shining with tears, and hugged him, sobbing.

'W...why did he have to die?' The younger hermit cried, the sound muffled. Cub held him back comfortingly. 

'Because he knew it was the only way to get rid of Herobrine. He sacrificed himself for everyone.' 

'B...but he had so much to live for...and he never decided where he was going to build his mega base.' 

Both laughed at this. Grian snuffled and stepped away. 

'So... uhh... who's going to be high Evoker now? Because our other one is dead, and I think Scar was one too.' Ember asked. 'I mean, I could always be...'