Chapter 6

'SCAR!' Grian yelled his friend's name as he collapsed on the ground. 'Scar! No! Don't be dead!'

The Tycoon's eyes snapped open, and he sat up, smiling broadly as he looked around. 

'Scar? Are you ok?'

'Oh, I'm fine!' There was something wrong with his voice. It seemed to be glitching, and he sounded almost evil. 'I'm absolutely fine!' Grian and Cub shared a this is bulls*** and we both know it look as their friend got to his feet, walking past. 

'Scar? Are you sure?' Cub queried, hiding his nervousness.

'I'm. Fine.' The sudden coldness of Scar's voice made Cub freeze, watching helplessly as he walked away. 

'Hold on, Scar, what happened to you?!' Impulse ran towards the tycoon. Before anyone could stop him, Scar turned, slicing him down in one blow, before flying away. 

Grian ran over to Cub.

'Ok, this isn't good.' He said in what was the biggest overstatement in the history of Hermitcraft. 'What are we going to do now?'

'I... I need to tell them about this.' Cub began to walk away, and Grian caught up.

'Hold up. Who are 'they'? And why do they need to know?'

'And they probably won't like me coming, because I've been avoiding them since the end of Season 6...' The stressed hermit ignored Grian's questions. 

'Who are they?!'

'I mean, they probably already know... they're always watching over us.'

'Wait... watching?' Grian paused. Cub turned.

'Oh, it's not the Watchers if that's what you're thinking.'

'How do you know about the Watchers?!' 

'Who doesn't know about the Watchers? Some groups of magic creatures actually try to stay unknown.' Realising he'd already started explaining, he sighed. 'You really want to know?'

'Yes.'

'Fine. I'll tell you. But only when we've got to somewhere private.'

Mystified, Grian took off after Cub, and the two set off back to the latter's base, entering. Cub sat down, and with a sigh, began to speak.

'So... Let's start by saying that the Convex wasn't just me and Scar messing around causing chaos. It mostly was, but not completely. We were told to do it by... our leader.'

'Your leader?!'

'Yes. Our leader. The leader of the Vexlings.'

'And you and Scar are both...?'

'Yep. We're both Vexlings. A group of magical players with powers very similar to the Minecraft vexes that you know. But we came first. Way before 1.11 arrived. Our leader, our Evoker, at theat time managed to cause vexes and evokers to spawn in worlds.'

'How do you become a Vexling?'

'Being bitten by a vex summoned by another Vexling. And then the Vexling that did it has to look after the new Vexling until they get to the Vex Cathedral and get given a mask. Because undiscovered Vexlings aren't supposed to travel around alone.'

'Is that how you and Scar met?'

'Yeah. I might've freaked out when he jumped through a window. And summoned a ton of Vexes. Luckily one bit him before the others killed him - Vexling-summoned Vexes don't attack other Vexlings.' Cub added quickly. 'But the thing is, I hadn't gone to the Vex Cathedral when I was made a Vexling, because the other Vexling that caused it was killed. So I went undercover until me and Scar were found, and taken there, and attempted to be punished by being told to protect each other. Jokes on them, because we were sticking together anyway.' 

'Why haven't you gone back for so long though?'

'Because I just want them to leave me and Scar alone. I thought that by avoiding them, and not really hanging out, they'd grow bored of watching over us. We're not using our magic. At all.'

'But now you need to tell them that something happened to Scar.'

'Exactly.' 

There was quiet for a moment, before Grian spoke. 

'We should tell Bdubs about Scar.' 

'Agreed.' Cub nodded. 'Let's go.'

Tango was the first person they saw when they landed in the wide-eyed area. Grian swooped down, calling his name.

'Hey Tango!' He yelled, succeeding in scaring the blonde. Tango jumped, accidentally setting the ground in front of on fire. 

'Grian! You scared me!' He greeted back breathlessly, stamping out the flames. 

'Bit clutch there with the flint and steel.' Cub noted. 

'Yeah... What's up?' Tango changed the subject quickly.

'We're looking for Bdubs.' Grian explained. 'Have you seen him anywhere?'

'I think Scar wanted to talk to him. I don't know what about...'

Grian and Cub exchanged a worried look. 

'Thanks. We'll see if we can catch him later on.' Cub thanked, before heading off, frowning. 

'Ok, what does Scar want with Bdubs?' Grian muttered nervously. 

'I have no idea, but I'm sure it won't be good.'

'Scar? Why did you want to meet me up here?' Bdubs stood, shivering, at the peak of his starter base.

'No reason. There's just a nice view.' Scar looked down at the ground far below. Far enough to kill upon impact. Perfect. 

'And what did you want to talk about?'

'Bdubs, you trust me right?'

'Yes? Why?' Bdubs glanced down as well. 

'Take off your elytra.' 

'Why?' 

'Because I asked you to. Now, nothing bad's going to happen if you do what I say.' 

'And what if I don't?'

'Oh, you're going to die. Permanently.'

'Permanently?!'

'I found a way to turn off respawn. Pity it's only for individual players. Only Xisuma can make everyone die permanently.'

'Then I'm not taking of my elytra, you psycho!'

'Oh, but I think you will. I know where your brother is, Bdubs. And I have a clock.' Scar held out the timepiece. Bdubs looked at it with suspicion. 'I heard you liked clocks. And your brother staying alive.'

'Are you... threatening Pungence?'

'Yes, I am. Now, take off your elytra.'

'Why?!' 

'Because I heard you don't need them to fly. I heard that you can turn into a phantom, am I right?'

'Who told you that?!' 

'I figured it out myself. It wasn't exactly hard. Take off your elytra and jump.'

'WHAT?!' 

'You can just turn into a half-phantom thing and fly!'

'I'll burn to death!'

'Wear a helmet then. Scar shrugged off the idea of Bdubs burning to death. 'You have one on anyway.'

'Why should I?'

'Because if not, I will find your brother and kill him, with him fully in the knowledge that you let him die because you're too scared to do what I want.' 

'Fine!' Bdubs pulled off his eltyra and dumped them on the ground. And with one last glare at Scar, he jumped right off the edge.