Chapter 24

I kissed her.

That was the first thought that came to my mind when I woke up the next morning. A perfect image of the kiss plastered on my head like ink to paper. I couldn't even think about the headache that was pounding my skull because all my neurons were trying to find a way to make sure I wouldn't die from embarrassment.

My ears were red and my cheeks were rosy in a way that I couldn't hide.

"Do you have a fever?" I heard my father ask once he came down from his room to wash his dishes.

He left the plate on the sink and came to stand next to me, placing his hand on my forehead.

I flinched at the contact and stepped away. "I'm fine, dad."

My fingers were curled around the spoon and I couldn't look up from my plate. My father followed my gaze.

"You haven't touched your breakfast. Is there something wrong with the eggs? I know it's not what we normally have but I tried making something new. I know you're fond of American breakfast and bacon."

A big lump formed in my throat. I was having an internal crisis and my dad thought his poor attempt of a breakfast was the cause of my depressive state.

"No, dad, seriously. I'm not hungry, that's all. The breakfast isn't the problem."

His stare found mine and I felt my toes curl. I was having a serious case of ostrich syndrome. The one where you cannot be at peace unless you dig a hole in the ground and put your head inside. That one.

"I'm being selfish, sorry. You probably spent so much time making this and I'm just rejecting it all." I lowered my gaze and my father gave me a side hug.

"Of course not, son. Do not force yourself. I know you've been studying hard for finals, you probably lost all of your apetite, without mentioning the situation going on outside."

Okay, now I did feel like shit.

At the mention of finals, I winced, knowing perfectly well I hadn't been doing any studying lately. I had promised my dad I would do my best and opposite to my words, I had spent the night outside, drinking alcohol with a bunch of potential killers.

"Here, I'll put this in the microwave, eat it when you're hungry." Washing his dishes, he ruffled my hair once he was finished and went to go upstairs once again. "Let me know if you feel sick, though."

For the rest of the day, I locked myself in my room, a book in hand, trying, trying and failing, to study or to even focus at the words I was reading from the guide. I couldn't concentrate, a familiar short-haired girl was roaming my thoughts and I couldn't get her out of them.

Really, Hyunjin? You couldn't get a crush on another girl?

At the thought, my heart skipped a beat and my hand flew to my chest to make sure the damned thing was still working properly.

This couldn't be happening.

I couldn't like her. Of course, she was cute and pretty and smart, and her mouth was sarcastic and snarky, amongst other things...

Slapping myself, I forced myself to come out of that stupid daze.

Could I really feel something for someone like her? Even after all?

I expected my feelings to die like a match on a windy day.

But she didn't even kiss me back and it hurt more than I thought it would. She probably didn't shove me away out of respect or probably because she thought I was just another drunkard teenager that was letting out some hormones on her.