Chapter 44

When the communicator finally buzzed, I had to hold back a moan. For a second there, I got worried Seungmin had been found and all this operation had gone to Hell. I was not ready for that to happen. He had left for more than twenty minutes now so I had every right to be concerned. Jeongin also seemed glad to hear that annoying buzz disturb the silence.

"You there?" I heard him say in that electronic voice.

"Yes, how did it go? Did you manage to get in?" I responded a little too eagerly.

As I spoke, Jeongin checked the guards, an impatient look on his face. I knew he had been nervous as well. He just managed to show it less than me. Lucky him.

"Yes, but I only found two suits. You should come first until we find another one. If I happen to come across another guard, I'll tell Jeongin."

"Got it."

The buzzing died out and I turned to Jeongin.

"Do you have the device?" He patted the side of his pants and nodded reassuringly. "I'll be going then." I hesitated for a second. "Wish me luck."

"Good luck." He gave me a thumbs up, forcing a smile, although it looked disheartened.

I held back a groan and crouched slowly, keeping my eyes alert.

Okay, finally it was my turn. I couldn't be afraid. I had to do this.

Swiftly, I swung one of my legs over the edge of the slope and hesitantly stepped on the snow. My eyes flew from the ground to the guards and back. I tapped the spot a few times to make sure it was safe to support myself on it and when it didn't give away, I swung the other leg. I was fully visible from my place so I had to move fast towards the nearest tree.

Ducking my head a bit, I moved in the same crouch, keeping my figure as small as possible. It wasn't easy, considering my legs are long. I tried to not breathe too hard. My heart was hammering in my chest in fear, in case one of the guards would look my way all of a sudden. Quickly, I reached the first tree and breathed out when I found myself out of their vision line again. Looking further down, I trailed the snow, looking for the tiny arachnide. Soon enough, I caught sight of Mr. Eight Legs, who had been freely circling the area this whole time.

My gaze turned up towards the top of the slope and I leaned in to catch the top of Jeongin's head. He lifted his face and met my eye, giving me a brief nod. 

Great. I could move again.

Shifting to the next tree meant I would be closer to the base of the depression, which meant I'd be closer to not only the facility but also the guards. It was a terrifying thought.

Don't be stupid. Seungmin could do it, you can do it too.

I turned my head to the left and peered down. The slope was quite pronounced from here and down so I had to be careful or I might stumble and fall. With quiet steps, I took the first leg out and placed it as far as I could. In a smooth pace, I took a small jump from one place to the other. When I landed, my right foot sort of dug into the snow, causing me to tip forward. Panic rose in my chest but I immediately hugged myself to the trunk of the tree, keeping me in place.

Breathing sharply, I took another glance down but none of the guards seemed to have seen me. I released a shaky breath and forced myself to calm down.

I was only a couple of feet far from the fence now and the spider was slowly making its way to me. Taking a few steps back, I lowered myself to the ground and slipped a gloved hand under the mass of snow. Ever so slowly, I dug it down and out of the protection of the tree, palm facing up. The spider only to had to walk towards it and I would be able to take my hand back.