19. Imaginary insomnia

I swear to God that one day I'm going to become deaf

I swear to God that one day I'm going to become deaf. It's my inheritance. And that day seems to be today. You wondered how my grandpa became deaf? Okay, so here's the story I didn't have the strength to tell you this morning, for the ones who wanted to know.

After my parents died in that awful accident which was, of course, my fault, I moved with my grandparents to live in a new house, here in Seattle, away from my small village which continued to remind me of my parents at each step, especially at that street where we crashed, and that hill where they lost their lives. I won't talk about the moment when we left our home, our village, because one, I don't want to relive those painful moments, and two, I'm trying to make this as short as I can.

I don't want to complain, as much as I was suffering, I had a good life. Grandpa found a new job in a new school, here, as a literature teacher, grandma was taking care of me until he would come home and read me at night. But as you may remember, the nights are the most difficult part of the day for me. Day has 24 hours, yet I can only sleep two if I'm lucky.

Each day grandpa would come home with a new book for me, while grandma would realize that all the toys she bought me were in vain, collecting dust, since my little hands weren't playing with them, but were busy flipping the pages. I would be literally eating the book in less than an hour, while grandma would cook lunch, clean, and sew as every grandma does. Now when I remember her face with wrinkles and her smile which could enlighten the whole room and her bright eyes which my mom, and then I inherited, I regret that I didn't spend more time with her. No, instead of being with her, I kept my nose nuzzled in books, in their warm pages, not realizing that they would always be here since they can't die, but my grandpa could. And she did.

I was bad toward her. Yeah, I was. Whenever she tried to talk to me, I would tell her to leave the room and let me read. She was the one who forced me to sleep and took my books, so I didn't waste time and be awake more than I should be. She just couldn't understand that they helped me feel sleepy, and I dreamt that I would fall asleep with the book in my hands, almost slipping through them, and my head would be pressed on my pillow, while my eyes closed. Hell, I could only dream of it.

I would have to sneak and open my books, while I thought that she was asleep, but the lamp in my bedroom would always wake her up and she would appear to scold me, taking the precious object from my hands, demanding from me to lay and close my eyes. So, I would have to toss and turn the whole night because she just couldn't understand that I couldn't fucking sleep. I hate when she demands that from me, that is the thing I hate, like despise. Grandpa never does that, he just hopes, I don't know why he does, but that doesn't irritate me, since he doesn't make me lay and try to sleep, nor pretend as I used to while his wife was still alive.

In front of my eyes, the picture of my grandma and grandpa who are bickering because of me appears. Dad is trying to explain to her that she should give me a break, and let me keep myself busy at night since I can't do anything else because being in bed would just make me more nervous and exhaust me even more.