16. Oh, Anna is a bitch

"Don't worry, Ris, she'll come", Jason comforts me, patting my shoulder

I pout, my face must look sad, and I'm losing hope. Luna hasn't shown up still, and this is the third period. Worry is boiling in my body and my head hasn't stopped making bad scenarios in which she is hurt.

I think about yesterday when I saw her with her dog whose name is Scar. I still wonder if his name has something to do with the scar on the right side of her beautiful face. Her bloodshot eyes and her eyelids were heavy, barely opened as her expression was holding fatigue and exhaustion. At least, I saw her again, this time without that Manuel guy, and she didn't seem hurt, so I just hope he didn't do anything to her. If he is her boyfriend why would he do something bad to her? He could be abusive, yes, but maybe he is just jealous and didn't want any male around his girlfriend. But customers, and making money aside from his watch, those words again start playing in my head.

If I hadn't been at practice, I would have definitely run after her not letting her walk away just like that.

"She will come", Austin's voice snaps me from my thoughts. "She has never missed literature class so far. Never." He shakes his head as he wants to show me how sure he is that she will come.

I shrug, sighing and turning my head to the door. My gaze is glued to them, expecting her to pass through them. And indeed some blue material shows up, but when the whole frame comes into the picture I realize that it belongs to Mrs. Morgan and her navy blue skirt that is bouncing with each step she makes.

"Good morning, kids", she greets us, and a couple of students greet her back, murmuring, but I just sigh, bowing my head as hope leaves my body and mind.

"She's not coming", I mumble to myself sadly, my head falling on my backpack that I still haven't put on the chair.

Jason catches my unhappy gaze but doesn't say anything, and neither do I.

"Okay, let's see who's missing", Mrs. Morgan says as her glance falls on Luna's spot, and it lingers there for a few seconds, sadly.

After she wrote who's absent, we again started discussing the work we were doing in yesterday's class. Anna Karenina. She asked us some questions and other pupils seemed not interested and bored, while on the other side Austin was hardly trying to come up with some good answers and Mrs. Morgan tried not to tell him that he kept giving the wrong ones, probably realizing that he is the only shot for her not to speak everything herself, so she just smiled politely, nodding as he stuttered, and kept repeating the words he had been using in all the sentences he has said so far. At least he is trying, unlike the rest of us.

I sigh, and lay my chin on the table and turn my head to the direction in which Luna's seat is. It's empty and I feel something in my chest squeezing it. It's sadness and despair lingering as I continue watching the chair without her sitting on it. Usually, she'd be asleep with her headphones in her ears. But she's not here now, and her headphones are broke due to Ms. Roger. I close my eyes and start to doze off when I feel someone's jerking me hard.