The maidservant took out the hair ornaments and pinned each of them in her hair. At that moment, Lin Shi lifted the curtain and entered. She walked over to the dressing table and wanted to say something. In just a few months, she had lost a lot of weight. Her originally fair skin was now coarse and as yellow as a candle. Many tiny wrinkles formed on her forehead. She looked like she had aged over ten years.

When Yu Miao Qi saw her, the mood in her eyes dropped. She dismissed the maids with a wave of her hand and asked impatiently, "What's wrong with you again?"

"Nothing. I just feel unsettled when I'm alone, so I came to see you." With a confused and helpless expression on her face, Lin Shi sat on the embroidered Chinese drum-shaped stool[4] and let out a long sigh.

"Then you should take a good look. Your daughter, I, will soon be a soaring phoenix." Yu Miao Qi touched the jade-and-gold Luan-Phoenix hairpins loop on her head with her fingertips. She said with a voice full of pride, "When the dust is settled, that person will take me into the palace. With my merits, I will at least be crowned as a consort. I'll let that old thing welcome you back gloriously when I've made it to the top."

"Don't. You mustn't anger the Old Madam. She is at least my mother-in-law and your grandmother." Lin Shi waved her hand frantically. She said worriedly, "Not long after Yan'er passed on, I helped the third branch of the (Yu) family slander his reputation. Wouldn't your father in heaven know of this and blame me?"

"Didn't I tell you that my status is too low now and the only way to compete with other noble women is to form an alliance with my Third Uncle? You helped Third Uncle take back his title and he will send me to the palace, we are merely using one another. In the future, once I give birth to a son and assume the position of Empress, I will definitely clear my brother's name. I still remember what Third Uncle did to my elder brother, and I will not spare him. Since my elder brother has no offspring, I will certainly give you a child with good qualifications from our clan to raise. This is so that he can inherit my brother's title. You do not need to care about outsiders' slanderous words, and you do not need to worry about Third Uncle's family. As your daughter, I will take care of all of it." Yu Miao Qi patiently explained.

Lin Shi listened in silence. She only kneaded her handkerchief and wiped her tears.

Zhuo Shi's sharp voice sounded outside the door. Yu Miao Qi hurriedly sat upright and looked at the mirror to tidy the hair on her temple.

"Qi'er, are you ready? Let's go now." Zhuo Shi lifted the curtain and circled around Yu Miao Qi twice. She complimented, "Qi'er is really beautiful. No wonder the nobleman likes you so much, he told me to take good care of you. Do you like the sets of hair ornaments that have just been sent to you? If you don't like them, ask the shopkeeper at Fairview Pavillion to pay another visit and pick until you are satisfied."

"Thank you, Aunt. Miao Qi likes it a lot. Did the nobleman leave a message for me?" Shyness appeared within Yu Miao Qi's eyes as her cheeks flushed.

"He did. He told you to calmly wait. And that as soon as this is over, he will welcome you to the palace in a palanquincarried by eight people[1]." Zhuo Shi's smile was sincere, but deep in her eyes contained endless disdain. That man had only befriended Yu Miao Qi to deal with Yu Pin Yan. Now that Yu Pin Yan is dead, Yu Miao Qi is useless. It would be good if he could remember this person, let alone the sedan chair carried by eight people.

If it were not for the fact that the Old Master had wanted to send a woman from the Yu family to the palace... If it were not for the fact that her daughter had already married in Shu... If it were not for the fact that Yu Miao Qi was so beautiful and elegant, she would never have taken in this mother and daughter.