Chapter 52

Lin Shi was originally smiling while pulling her daughter's hair to try on a pearl hairpin. She repeatedly looked outside after a quarter of an hour but when half an hour had passed, her expression became distorted and she sent a little maidservant to go find out.

Shopkeeper Qian opened the remaining red lacquer boxes and eloquently recommended her shop's jewelry, which alleviated the awkward atmosphere.

After another moment later, Jin Momo came in with a small case in her arms.

"What took you so long?" Lin Shi interrogated in a deep voice while Yu Miao Qi took a golden hairpin to the mirror to try it on, as if she hadn't heard anything.

"Back to Madam, Third Young Miss searched for half a day to find this box and said she wanted to give it to Second Young Miss, which is why the delay." Jin Momo handed a box over and noticed it was covered with dust which was obviously abandoned by Yu Xiang. Feeling utterly embarrassed, she hurriedly wiped the dust off with her sleeve.

Lin Shi's gloomy face could drip water now. When she was about to rebuke the verse of 'intolerable bullying[1]', Shopkeeper Qian exclaimed, "Aiya, isn't this our Jin Xiu House one and only golden phoenix embellished wing pearl buyao[2]? Not only these three pearls on the buyao the size of a dragon's eye, they are considered hard to find. This box alone is also costly. The lid of the box is carved from a single piece of golden-silk-nut wood and the inlaid petals of several begonia flowers are made of top-grade red jade, which are delicate and lustre in colors. Under the sunlight, it looks just like the real flower that makes others desire to reach out and touch it."

As she spoke, she took the box then placed it in the bright light and rotated it. Clicking her tongue and exclaimed in admiration, "Second, third, Miss Xiang'er is truly generous. This box alone is a treasure in our shop, not mentioning this buyao. Taking apart each of these pearls, it could be sold for this amount." She held out one palm and shook it.

It was rather strange that a second young miss appeared out of nowhere in Marquis Yongle manor, claiming to be Miss Xiang'er twin elder sister. However, both looked nothing alike, and their temperaments were so different that unbeknownst what actually was her background.

It doesn't matter anyway, as long as she makes profit.

Shopkeeper Qian muttered in her heart but her mouth praised Yu Xiang's gift a good deal, which eased up Lin Shi's gloomy face a bit as she handed over the matching tablet, "Take the matching tablet and go draw the silver."

"Thank you, Madam for your patronage. Next time if you need anything, just have someone summon this matron. This matron's goods are among the best in the Capital and will not let Madam down." With a genial smile, Shopkeeper Qian received the matching tablet and went out with a sigh of relief.

Lin Shi ordered Jin Momo to put away all the jewelry that was piled on the table, however, when she turned around, she saw her daughter tearing at the opened begonia box.

"Qi'er, what's wrong with you? Who has upset you?" She hurried over and took her daughter in her arms and patted her.

"Mother, this box alone is so valuable, not to mention the jewels placed inside." She closed the box and pushed it farther away with intense tearing. "I have never even known or seen what an eastern-pearl looks like in the Shen family. To me, it was all but unattainable, a life I would never dare to dream of. But what's the truth? The truth is, all these should have been mine, but she took it all away from me! Mother, I even have to report to her for the purchase of some clothes and jewelry, so am I the Di daughter of the Marquis manor? If I have to look on her face to live the rest of my life, why should I come back? Why not just send me back again!"