Chapter 56

Both mother and daughter inlaws stared at each other without speaking as the hall fell into dead silence. Ma Momo had long driven all the servants out of the courtyard and kept watch while listening with strained ears at the door.

After the long confrontation, Lin Shi finally lost the battle. She kowtowed three times again and opened her mouth sincerely, "If it was not for Mother's persecution, this daughter-in-law would not dare making such a move. Shouldn't Mother think about it, Yan'er, Yu Xiang, Qi'er and Si Yu, these four children are now older and will soon have their marriage arrangements discussed. It's not appropriate for Yu Xiang to be in charge of the family anymore. Do you want an unmarried girl to be a matchmaker for her older siblings and herself? Wouldn't this make us a laughing stock! There are a lot of personal connections to be made, so how can she facilitate this? It's best for me to be in charge of the family now, to make sure that the marriage of the siblings is done properly and perfectly. Back then, when my husband was still alive, wasn't Mother very pleased with me? This time, I beg you to give me another chance to mend my ways as I really know I was wrong!" Once the words fell followed with another three kowtows, her attitude was very humble.

Old Madam closed her eyes and remained silent for a full quarter of an hour before she opened her eyes then waved her hand, "Fine, I'll leave you in charge for now. I have a word of warning for you; do not use your authority as head of the family to treat Xiang'er harshly and do not make any mistakes. If I am to catch you in the wrong, take the bill of divorcement and go back to your maiden family. My Yu manor will no longer tolerate you!"

Lin Shi thought she would never make a mistake and immediately nodded her head, "This daughter-in-law will remember Mother's lesson. I just don't know when Yu Xiang will hand over the account books, matching tablets and the treasury room keys?"

Seeing her so impatient, Old Madam shot her a mockery glance and drawled, "I'll let Xiang'er send those things to you later. Don't be impatient. For the time being, write me a military pledge[1] stating clearly that you'll take the bill of divorcement and leave if you make a mistake."

"Thank you Mother for fulfilling my request. Daughter-in-law will write the warrant." Seeing that her purpose was achieved, Lin Shi wrote the military pledge without demur then walked away. When she reached the threshold, she was stopped by Old Madam, "Wait, I have to warn you, don't go expose Xiang'er's origin in front of her privately. Should you think that you can pressure her into giving in to you and Yu Miao Qi? That's where you're wrong. Xiang'er is personally raised by Yan'er and her temperament is completely like Yan'er's, who is a vindictive type. If you at any moment provoke her discontentment, she is ready to make yours and Yu Miao Qi's lives miserable at any cost. If you don't believe, just go ahead and try."

As it turned out, Lin Shi did truly have the idea of 'finding Yu Xiang to secretly expose her origin letting her know how to read others' facade as well as understood what was the closeness and estrangement of interpersonal relationships[2]'. But now she didn't know what to do once Old Madam revealed her intention.

If this was indeed true, Yu Xiang would be like a brass ball full of spikes that would prick one's hand if it was touched and the only way to crush it was with a heavy hammer. However, she had these two venerated deities, Old Madam and Yu Pin Yan protecting her. So, who would dare to hammer her? Just a few harsh words would cause her eyes to redden and also make Yu Pin Yan yield a cleaving sword.

Feeling frustrated, Lin Shi turned to face Jin Momo.

Jin Momo nodded her head imperceptibly, indicating what Old Madam said was true. Yu Xiang indeed had such an unprovoking temper that no one could afford to mess with. If she was angered, she could become ruthless in a very short time and it would not be impossible for her to expose young miss's background to the entire Capital.