Chapter 70

At first, Yu Xiang was leisurely nibbling on a cucumber. However, when she heard these words, she was stunned and shortly thereafter she covered her mouth and snickered, "I didn't think the dirty water would be thrown on me. You are here today to seek death, aren't you?"

Her eyebrows were pulled down and the beautiful face instantly turned imposing. It was so terrifying that the maidservant hurriedly fell backwards, shot a quick glance at Jin Momo behind Lin Shi and said determinedly, "I knew Young Miss would never let me off, so I fled the capital. Now that I have been caught, I have no choice but to accept my fate. Old Madam, the Third Young Miss ordered me to do this. She said that since she, herself, can't get married, she would ruin the reputation of the Eldest Young Miss so that she would never be able to live happily after. She gave me one hundred taels of silver, and I stole the Elder Young Miss' belongings and gave them to her." After saying this, she turned to Yu Si Yu and heavily kowtowed, "Eldest Young Miss, you have treated this servant well, but I have ruined your reputation by doing such an evil deed. This servant can only die just to apologise." Before she even finished speaking, she was already slamming her head towards the pillar and sure enough she was seeking death.

  All the people with no fixed duties or title were cleared from the courtyard by Yu Pin Yan. And the few trustworthy Momos who were in the hall were standing at a distance, so no one was able to stop her.

After a dull bang, there was a cold corpse and a large pool of warm blood at the door, and the strong stench of blood diffused through the air. Because her confession was so unexpected and her actions were swift and fast, the Old Madam and Yu Si Yu were dumbfounded. They only cried out in fear when they saw the blood had started to flow over a wide area.

The first thing Yu Pin Yan did was to press his younger sister's face into his arms, and when he looked down, there wasn't fear on her face, but instead she was craning her neck and tilting her chin up to find out what was going on.

Yu Pin Yan covered her eyes with his palm. He beckoned Feng Momo who was standing behind them.

Feng Momo was the only calm Momo-in-charge in the hall. She strode out and summoned two guards to drag Jiang Xue's corpse away. Seven or eight male servants immediately poured in with rags in their hand and crouched down in a row to drain off every inch of blood. They poured a bucket of water to thin out the blood and then clean it again. Thereafter, they left one after the other.

Before twenty minutes was up, the bloody and gruesome scene had disappeared without a trace, which easily showed the guards and the male servants were well trained.

It was only then that Yu Pin Yan removed the palm of his hand that was blocking his younger sister's eyes and used his fingertips to wipe away the cucumber juice that stained the corners of her mouth.

In the early years when she was in charge of the family, Lin Shi was used to this kind of scenes and was only cowardly when the Old Madam mentioned her late husband and the letter of repudiation. However, now, she quickly calmed herself down and shot a sharp gaze towards Yu Xiang. Although Yu Miao Qi had planned Jiang Xue's death, she was only fourteen years old, and seeing it with her own eyes was completely different from what she had imagined. It was as if the big puddle of blood seemed to reflect in her eyes and could not be washed away no matter what.

She hurriedly threw herself into Lin Shi's arms and buried her head to hide the guilt and terrified facial expression.

When a few of the male servants had left, Yu Si Yu's scream of fright-'ah'-breaking the dead silence in the hall.

The Old Madam shut her eyes and gently twirled the Buddhist beads. She seemed unfazed by the tragedy before her, but the veins bulging at the corners of her forehead showed that she was struggling to suppress her anger. She had not killed anyone for many years ever since she started believing in Buddhism, but she had never expected that someone would have the audacity to defile her pure land with a malicious and unjust spirit. Very good indeed!