Chapter 112

Yu Miao Qi had locked herself in the room ever since she returned from Lin manor and refused to see anyone. It was not until the night of Lunar New Year's Eve dinner that she took small brisk steps into the main hall.

When the Old Madam saw her, she only greeted her indifferently, as if she did not notice her haggard face. After eating the Lunar New Year Eve's dinner and playing cards for a while, as the sky was getting dark and the sound of firecrackers were heard all over town, the Old Madam waved her hand and said, "Come, let's head outside and drive away Nian[1]"

The so-called Nian were driven away by firecrackers, which were naturally done by the servants in other families. However, in Yu manor, Yu Pin Yan would personally do it. He ordered people to bring a large box of firecrackers and throw them one by one into the sky.

Although Yu Xiang's legs were broken, she was spoiled by Yu Pin Yan and became increasingly unrestrained. She held an incense stick in her left hand and a firecracker the size of two-finger thick in her right hand. She lit them one by one and did not throw it anywhere else but into the lotus pond. Peng! Peng! Peng - The loud popping sound created a big hole in the frosty layer of the pond and the fish were blown out of the ice, flopping about on their white bellies.

"Quickly fished it out. We will have roast fish for supper this evening!" She leaned over the lotus pond and instructed Tao Hong and Liu Lu to use their nets to catch the fish.

As Yu Si Yu saw this, she was coveting to try it. She asked her for a firecracker and wanted to set it off as well.

"Be careful. You know the one guarding the backyard, Liu Zi, who has three fingers missing?" Yu Xiang waved her palm and said with a wry smile. "His fingers were blown up when he didn't throw the firecracker in time."

Yu Si Yu's heart trembled as she hurriedly threw the cannon without lighting it. However, by coincidence, it was thrown into Liu Lu's net, which caused her to be horrified and screamed a few times. She dropped the net and waited for a long time, but when she saw no movement, she realised that the firecracker was not lit at all.

They looked at each other as if they were relieved from a burden, but Yu Xiang laughed so heartily that tears rolled out of her eyes as she smacked her wheelchair.

The Old Madam stood on the veranda and looked at the coloured banners and lanterns, the laughter and chatters in the courtyard. She felt that this year was the most peaceful and happy year for the Yu manor. Even though there had been many ups and downs before, the end of the year had finally come to an end.

"Look, your leg is not healed yet and you are so playful like this. If your leg is healed, won't you climb up the roof and remove the roof tiles?" The Old Madam pointed at her granddaughter who had started to fry fish again, scolding her with her mouth but showing a doting expression.

"Let her be happy. It's just a few fishes." Yu Pin Yan watched his younger sister closely as his lips curved slightly.   

"A few fishes? That's a lion-headed koi I bought from Yangzhou at great cost." The Old Madam snorted softly and rebuked, "You are just spoiling her. If she were to climb up the roof and tear the house down tile by tile[2], you would probably be holding the ladder at the bottom. "

Yu Pin Yan softly chuckled, "How is that so? It's too dangerous for her to climb that high, why don't I just help her lift it?"

The Old Madam only thought that her grandson was joking and laughed facetiously. After laughing, she beckoned towards the two children, "Alright, don't set it off. Don't freeze yourself on a cold day, go inside and warm yourself by the fire."

Tao Hong and Liu Lu immediately brought their master indoors. Yu Pin Yan took her cold hands and rubbed them together, then placed them on the hand warmer to warm them. The Old Madam pulled the quilt over her granddaughter's legs and asked, "How is it? How many steps have you been able to take lately?"