They heard someone reported at the door as soon as the words faltered, "Old Madam, Madam and Second Young Miss are here."

Lin Shi walked in the front and followed by Yu Miao Qi. They were both dressed in plain colored clothing with a little rouge and powder to cover their haggardness. Two imposingly dignified Momo stood beside Yu Miao Qi, followed in wake by four maidservants. If this was seen by others who didn't know the inside story, they would have deemed her as the most highly respected one in the Marquis manor.

Both of them curtsied to make their salutation then seeing that there was no extra seat by the fire cage, they had no choice but to pick two cold stools and sat down.

Old Madam's throat had already fully recovered when she opened her mouth and spoke in a deep voice, "Sit closer and hand over the bookkeeping clearly in front of everyone. After that, Lin Shi will return home with her dowry."

The four Momo will have to go back to the Imperial Palace after all. So, what's the difference between having to check the account books in front of them and ripping off the skin of Yu Miao Qi's face on the spot? She really fell short in managing such a huge Marquis manor but in order not to lose to Yu Xiang, she could only think of every possible measure to keep up. And she was also very selfish that once both her dowry and the profits of the Marquis manor were not up to par, she naturally would choose to deficit the household income to fill the loss of her dowry.

She had grown up in the Shen family and was very proficient in bookkeeping as she could fill and balance no matter how many holes there were in the account books. It would be fine if it was merely Old Madam who is validating the accounts, yet Old Madam was inclined to call both Yu Pin Yan and Yu Xiang to come along.

Not mentioning Yu Xiang's eyesight for the moment, Yu Pin Yan has arrested countless corrupted officials and also reviewed innumerable ingenious fraudulent accounts. Both of them can unveil her true colors by just scanning through the account books briefly.

Thinking of those amounts she had lost, Yu Miao Qi felt cold in her heart while a thick layer of sweat broke out on her back on such a cold day that even her soul felt a burst of bone-chilling coldness once the cold draught blew in from outside the door.

"Look at you trembling like that, come quickly over to warm yourself by the fire." Yu Si Yu waved at her with a smile, but there was incessant malice hidden in her eyes.

"Grandmother, I feel unwell all of a sudden. Can I go rest first and validate the account books tomorrow?" Yu Miao Qi tried to stall for time, then persuaded Lin Shi to help her take the blame. As Lin Shi is still in the dark about this matter, she will naturally be in shock once she heard of this whereby the bystanders will be able to discern the inklings.

"You go back then, Lin Shi will stay." Old Madam instead took out the account books from the box and looked at Yu Si Yu, "I've been told that you are fully responsible for managing the few hamlets in the countryside, so let Old Ancestor see if you have made any progress."

Yu Si Yu gladly agreed while Yu Xiang also picked up a stack of account books. How could Yu Miao Qi dare to go back alone, so she merely sent the four Momo and the four maidservants away with kind words then walked over to take a seat with Lin Shi.

"Mother, please give this daughter-in-law another chance, Mother. Daughter-in-law ..." Lin Shi tried to beg forgiveness from Old Madam. Inwardly, she did not think there was any problem with the account books and merely thought that it were messes made by those groups of servants who deceived their superiors and duped the subordinates which had absolutely nothing to do with her daughter. But at that time when those servants pushed the blame on her daughter in the presence of all the guests, she was not able to refute as their words were said with certainty and could only do her best to assume the blame.