The sound of inhalation resounded in the carriage. Yu Pin Yan gritted his teeth and replied, "It's so dark, how can Elder Brother see clearly? Bear with it. Once we reach home, Elder Brother will help you dig it out under the lighted candle."

"No, check it now. What if the bug burrowed into my brain along the cochlea?" The sweet voice had taken on a weepy tone.

Having no choice, Yu Pin Yan could only hold her head then slid the tip of his tongue into her ear and licked. He carefully licked both ears and sucked on her rounded earlobes. After a long while, he asked with a ragged breath, "Does it still itch?"

Yu Xiang's heart almost stopped beating yet restraining herself from thinking too deeply about it, she spoke in a muffled voice, "It doesn't itch anymore." After a moment of silence, she anxiously voiced out, "Elder Brother, don't lick my ears next time. I heard that a centipede burrowed itself into someone's ear and got poisoned to death. What if there's also a centipede in my ears and bite your tongue?"

Yu Pin Yan was too dumbfounded to utter a word. He felt irked and amused at the same time. The enchanting fantasy of entanglement in his mind instantly disappeared. Slapping the soft buttock of the little girl, he reprimanded, "Stop it. It's enough that you disgust yourself but not Elder Brother too."

Yu Xiang had returned to normalcy and smiled triumphantly.

**********

Though the hour of yinshi (3 am - 5 am) had passed, the Marquis manor was still brightly lit. Old Madam sat cross-legged on the soft couch reciting the scriptures while Lin Shi and Yu Miao Qi sat on the seats below, looking out the door frequently.

"Old Madam, the Marquis and Young Miss are back." An old pozi hurried into the main hall with the lower hem of her skirt hiked up.

Body swaying, Old Madam almost fell off the couch but thanks to the sharp-eyed and deft-handed Ma Momo who supported her while Wan Qiu hastily knelt down to help put on her shoes. Old Madam rushed out with her walking cane after tidying herself up. Her eyes gradually reddened when she caught sight of her grandson striding towards her with her granddaughter in his arms.

"What's going on? Is Xiang'er asleep or ... ?"

"Fallen asleep." Yu Pin Yan weighed the soundly asleep little girl in his arms and spoke with a smile, "Grandson's afraid you might be worried, so came to report our safety first. Let grandson send Xiang'er back to the room then recount the matter to Grandmother."

"Good, good. It's good as long as the people are fine. Go get some rest first. We will talk about it tomorrow." Old Madam waved her sleeve repeatedly.

Lin Shi promptly asked after she was tugged by Yu Miao Qi, "Yan'er, did something unforeseen happen to the Crown Princess? Why was Xiang'er summoned too in the middle of the night?"

Taking steps towards the west wing, Yu Pin Yan spoke in a deep voice, "What unforeseen event could have happened to the Crown Princess? The Crown Princess is already well and will recover in less than two months."

"How did she just recover? Wasn't she barely making it?" Lin Shi was extremely surprised.

Yu Pin Yan, however, paid her no heed as he quickly disappeared into the night. Old Madam glanced fixedly at Yu Miao Qi and sneered, "Is this the idea of succeeding the Crown Prince's wife? Have you not taken a look if you have that fate. Wan Qiu, help me back."

Undertaking the task, Wan Qiu supported her back to the room unhurriedly. Yu Miao Qi bowed to send her off with reverence and only revealed a sordid expression after the group of people was far away before murmuring, "I'm innately a person of eminence, so why don't I have that fate?"