Upon hearing this, Sun Shi simply hated Yu Miao Qi to her bones. Her family depended on the 200 taels that Yu Xiang gave each month. Wouldn't cutting them off all of a sudden starve them to death?

"What can I do then?" Twisting the handkerchief, Sun Shi asked anxiously. She dared not behave atrociously in the Marquis manor which is under Yu Pin Yan's control.

Daubing the lip rouge, Yu Xiang gave her some pointers, "Just stir up some trouble for mother and after several times, she will naturally consent. How can she watch uncle lose his descendant unfeelingly? Moreover, Mother has taken back her dowry from Grandmother. She does not trust Grandmother's people and will be bound to replace a batch of shopkeepers. Instead of benefitting the outsiders, it will be great to help the family. You and uncle should discuss with her to see if it's possible to manage several shops, wouldn't this a means of long-term livelihood?"

Sun Shi was overjoyed with Yu Xiang's guidance. She flicked her handkerchief and rushed to the principal courtyard. For a long time, she has been aiming for her sister-in-law's dowry, but as it was in the hands of Old Madam, she dared not hope vainly. However, now that Lin Shi has already got it back, she naturally has to extort a layer of the profit resolutely. She, however, fears Old Madam and Yu Xiang but has never put Lin Shi in her eyes.

Madam Jingguo knew Old Madam would not want to meet up with her, so she contrived on Lin Shi as Lin Shi has been very fond of her daughter in the past and who knows she might be tender-hearted when she sees her.

Lin Shi was indeed overjoyed seeing Chang Ya Fu. She took her small hand and sized her up, saying she has all grown up and getting more beautiful. Seeing that the atmosphere was right, the Madam Jingguo asked tentatively, "Younger sister, Fu'er is almost out of the mourning period while Yan'er is already 21, shouldn't this marriage be held? If we delay it any longer, when are we going to have a grandchild?"

Madam Jingguo was also anxious, otherwise she would not have said such explicit words in front of her daughter.

Lin Shi naturally wants to find a daughter-in-law who is of the same mind as hers as soon as possible in order to win her son over. She nodded her head and said, "Precisely, the children are all grown up. I will discuss with Old Madam later then choose an auspicious day to drop by and finalize the betrothal. When is the end of Fu'er mourning period?"

Revealing joy at first, Madam Jingguo immediately became worried, "The day after tomorrow is the last day of mourning. Sister just brings the children over to have fun. It's just that Old Madam seems to have a misunderstanding about our Fu'er, so will she agree?"

"What misunderstand?" Lin Shi's heartstring instantly tensed. If Old Madam disagrees, she really can't nor she dares to to make the decision.

Chang Ya Fu's face revealed some awkwardness while Madam Jingguo could not voice it out loud, so she dismissively and perfunctorily said, "Hai, it's just some private conflicts with your youngest daughter that he felt piqued and acted impetuously. It should be fine after this strife."

Lin Shi hung her head in silence. The words 'piqued and acted impetuously' are so uncharacteristic of Yu Pin Yan. With his unwavering nature, how could he be piqued and acted impetuously to others, once provoked, he will just strike. If Chang Ya Fu had not truly touched his limit, the two families would not have gone to the point of breaking the betrothal off. And if she agrees with Madam Jingguo right now, she will be opposing both Yu Pin Yan and Old Madam which will be another blatant trouble!

Yu Miao Qi could naturally think what was on Lin Shi's mind. She was already in a bad mood after meeting Shen Yuan Qi today then found out how useless her future sister-in-law was and even infuriated Yu Pin Yan, so who would dare making the decision to marry her into the family?

"My Elder Brother will never be piqued and acted impetuously to anyone. It will be better if Madam makes things clear, lest my mother become a double-dealer." Her smile was befitting but her words were extremely rude.

Chang Yu Fu's lips turned blue as she looked towards Madam Jingguo in dismay.

Lifting the lip of the teacup, Madam Jingguo whisked it slowly then sighed softly, "Let it pass then. No matter how much I said, it will just invite a snub. The success or failure of this marriage depends on your Yu family. It's just that our two families have been friends for decades and there's no need to break our bond even if we can't be in-laws. Sister, please bring a message to Old Madam, just say that our Chang family is unworthy of Yan'er and only hope that we can apologize personally to Yan'er on the last day of the mourning period."

Seeing how understanding and reasonable Madam Jingguo was, Lin Shi breathed a sigh of relief and even said she would call upon them on that day. Only then did the mother and daughter of the Chang family get up to take their leave. Once they left the courtyard entrance, their eyes mutually turned hostile.

Sun Shi arrived soon after they left. She vented out her grievances even before taking her seat and ultimately demanded 2000 taels from Lin Shi as well as the managing rights of several shops. As the saying goes, virtue people will be bullied while friendly horses will be ridden. Sun Shi dares not provoke Yu Xiang and Old Madam but takes Lin Shi as the pushover who she can torment however she likes.

Lin Shi wholeheartedly loves her younger brother and hesitated for only a moment before opening the trousseau but was held back firmly by Yu Miao Qi. Since Lin Shi was down with illness, Yu Miao Qi has been in charge of the household management and her dowry these days. Somehow, the shops which were thriving in Yu Xiang's hands, suffered serious losses just one month under her management as there were either problems with the supply of goods or customers making trouble that were difficult to defuse.

She had fired several experienced shopkeepers successively and these problems became worse since they were left unattended. She had no choice but to temporarily close several shops while she filled up a hole here and patched a crack there. The silvers in the purse could no longer make ends meet, so where can she get the 2000 taels to give this family of bloodsucking leeches?

Furthermore, she had already found out clearly what kind of person her uncle was from Jin Momo. The huge inheritance of the Lin family was almost squandered off by him, so how could these small shops of hers be enough for him to splurge?

Not giving. No more money and let alone those shops!

Seeing her resolute attitude, Sun Shi immediately made a scene. The maidservants waiting outside the hall first heard a loud bang followed by Sun Shi's vulgar curses such as, 'who do you think you are, you're not even worthy to carry Xiang'er's shoes, where did you pick this bastard up, Lin Shi, toss her out hastily'... and all kinds of incessant abuses that caused the passing-by servants to stop and listen.

The skins of Yu Miao Qi and Lin Shi's faces were almost stripped off by Sun Shi. In the end, they really had no choice but to find some valuable jewelry for her to take away and gave her some shops to manage.

Feeling satisfied, Sun Shi left with a small parcel and a smile on her face.

When Yu Xiang and Old Madam heard about this, they sighed in unison - wicked people will naturally be obliterated by wicked people.

On this day, some people could not sleep at night while others slept soundly. There was a sudden dull and urgent knock on the front door of the Marquis manor after the hour of yinshi (3am - 5am). When the gatekeeper opened a small corner of the door, he nevertheless saw an Imperial Guard of the Crown Prince's residence who repeatedly said he had to see Commander Yu.

Yu Pin Yan rushed over hurriedly and ordered someone to invite the Imperial Chief Guard to the main hall for questioning. With panic written all over their faces, Old Madam, Lin Shi and others hid behind the screen to listen discreetly.

"Report to Lord All Commander, the Crown Prince ordered this humble subordinate to invite you and Third Miss Yu for a chat in his residence." The Imperial Chief Guard saluted in a half-kneeled position.

"What has happened? Why does this Marquis's younger sister even get invited?" Yu Pin Yan frowned. Yu Xiang, who was yawning behind the screen woke up instantly.

The Imperial Chief Guard looked around then leaned in to whisper in his ear. After listening with an expressionless face, Yu Pin Yan dismissed him first before picking up and carrying his younger sister into the pitch-dark night.