She insisted on making a scene with the idea of letting Old Madam see Yu Xiang's true face. However, she would never ever expect Old Madam to really admit this without the slightest hesitation. Why did she embezzle her dowry and where was it spent? This was simply mind-boggling.

"Mother, you can't spoil a child like this! You're even helping her shoulder such a big matter!" Lin Shi shouted in exasperation.

"You shut up!" Old Madam lifted the tea cup and threw it ruthlessly to the ground with a loud thud that seemed to strike directly at her heart and quaked everyone to silence.

Yu Xiang buried her face in her elder brother's embrace, her hands clasped tightly around his strong lean waist. Thinking that she was scared, Yu Pin Yan quickly patted her back lightly. When he lowered his head to comfort her, he instead saw her quietly squinting her eyes at himself with a mischievous little look. Yu Pin Yan almost could not suppress his laughter. He then pinched the tip of her nose with affection and love while mouthing out the word 'naughty' noiselessly.

Yu Miao Qi hid behind Lin Shi, her restlessness grew stronger. Yu Si Yu was gloating when she saw Lin Shi intended to make trouble for Yu Xiang, but she didn't know the situation would take a sudden unfavorable turn for the worse. Old Madam actually admitted to embezzling Lin Shi's dowry. Such terrifying secrets scared her half to death that an unavoidable sense of anxiety emerged.

Seeing Lin Shi's face pale with difficulty to speak, Old Madam continued, "Do you know why I embezzled your dowry? 10th year of Chengkang's reign, Yan'er entered the palace for the selection of the Crown Prince's study companion which urgently needed a lot of silvers to pay-off; 14th year of Chengkang's reign, the second, third, fourth and fifth branch[1] came knocking on the door noisily demanding to divide the family properties. We were at the most disadvantage since I am old while Yan'er was a minor, so I had to spend a lot of silvers to buy off the clan's elderly; 16th year of Chengkang's reign, another large sum was used to pay off when Yan'er was accused of plotting murder that was set up by the third branch; 17th to 19th year of Chengkang's reign, Yan'er was poisoned three times that his life was in great peril and more than half of the family assets were used merely as medical fees. After the death of Jun Jie, the position of our main branch was already precarious when a bunch of jackals, tigers and leopards were waiting to take possession of the Marquis manor. Under this kind of circumstances, the 120 chests of dowries that I brought over had long been used up while merely the outer layer of yours was touched. I have personally asked if it was possible to borrow some of yours back then and you nodded your agreement. Why, going back on your words now? That's right. When Yan'er almost die that few times, you were burning yellow sacrificial paper in the room; while Yan'er was on the battlefield, you were embroidering a portrait of the deceased; when Yan'er's good fortune depleted due to torture and murder the convicts being the All Commander, you were yearning for your daughter's return. What were you doing when Yan'er needed you? Do you still acknowledge him as your son? Now that our livelihood is better, you are here to condemn those misdeeds. Why don't you see if you are worthy or even have the prestige to voice out! I feel sick looking at you now. If Jun Jie who is in the nether world knows this, he will definitely entrust a ghost to give you the bill of divorcement, do you believe it? Do you dare kneeling in front of Jun Jie's memorial tablet and ask what he thinks?"

Lin Shi's face became paler as she listened. Once the last few sentences faltered, she spoke incoherently, "Mother, I, I was wrong. I don't remember all of it. No, no, no, if I have known... nor, I thought..."

She was so confused then realized that all her words were not appropriate and was all wrong. Even her son was looking at her with such indifference that she almost collapsed on the spot. It's not that she doesn't care about her son, she just wakes up too late and cannot look back.